Ah, Mr. Smith. We've been expecting you. The top floor; please use the elevator in the back. Of course, I remember all the faces of our guests. Even your bag, Sir...
CENSORED
BANNED

Re: Fan translations thread

Post by CENSORED »

GoldenRakshasa wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:09 am Hi.

I recently did a translation of the mystery section of the Flower, Sun, and Rain Official Fanbook (titled Someone to Watch Over Me) and thought that I might post it here in case anyone was interested. Also, included the FSR comments from the Suda51 Complete Book as a little bonus.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11l1bFJ ... sp=sharing

Thanks
Hey man you're great. Mind if I mirror this for preservation purposes?
NewWorldOrder
Duplicator Smile

Post by NewWorldOrder »

Xed51 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:55 am Hey man you're great. Mind if I mirror this for preservation purposes?
No worries at all. Just wanna share it with as many fans as I can.
CENSORED
BANNED

Post by CENSORED »

GoldenRakshasa wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:50 am
Xed51 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:55 am Hey man you're great. Mind if I mirror this for preservation purposes?
No worries at all. Just wanna share it with as many fans as I can.
If there's anything else you want to look into but maybe don't have access to, feel free to ask since me and BigManJapan are slowly building up a digital archive for this stuff
NewWorldOrder
Duplicator Smile

Post by NewWorldOrder »

Thanks, I'll see how I go.

Next thing I think I wanna do is the Shadows of the Damned plot outline from the Suda51 complete book. I have that book, so no issue there. I was gonna start on that originally, but I had just played FSR for the first time so I leaned towards that.

Beyond that, I'm open to suggestions, but I'll only do stuff that I know I can do well. Part of me wants to do Kurayami Dance because the existing translation has a ton of mistakes, but I doubt anyone would care about stuff that has already been translated.
CENSORED
BANNED

Post by CENSORED »

GoldenRakshasa wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:25 am Thanks, I'll see how I go.

Next thing I think I wanna do is the Shadows of the Damned plot outline from the Suda51 complete book. I have that book, so no issue there. I was gonna start on that originally, but I had just played FSR for the first time so I leaned towards that.

Beyond that, I'm open to suggestions, but I'll only do stuff that I know I can do well. Part of me wants to do Kurayami Dance because the existing translation has a ton of mistakes, but I doubt anyone would care about stuff that has already been translated.
That's interesting about Kurayami Dance. Do you have any oustanding examples? I thought the translation came off as pretty decent. I wonder if some of my understanding about the story is actually wrong because of the translation.

Other than that, me and Rake are actually working on a translation project right now that might be interesting to you, though I don't want to take up too much of your time. Just contact me in private if you want to hear me out on this, though it's completely fine if you don't give a shit
NewWorldOrder
Duplicator Smile

Post by NewWorldOrder »

Xed51 wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:08 pm That's interesting about Kurayami Dance. Do you have any oustanding examples? I thought the translation came off as pretty decent. I wonder if some of my understanding about the story is actually wrong because of the translation.

Other than that, me and Rake are actually working on a translation project right now that might be interesting to you, though I don't want to take up too much of your time. Just contact me in private if you want to hear me out on this, though it's completely fine if you don't give a shit
It's been a couple of years since I read it, so I can't recall everything, but off the top of my head things like butchered references to gundam, one character name was wrong and just some other stuff that wasn't translated correctly. I don't mean to throw shade at the guy and I think the way he writes is really good which is why it sounds good when you read it. I couldn't say if anything messes with the story, but then again I found the story pretty confusing to begin with.

A more recent example is red/blue/green out which I just read recently. I took a look at the fan game to see what is was like and he completely misunderstood what was happening when Akama is livestreaming on the way to see Shiroyabu and kind of just made up his own version. I think it was fixed in the manga version though.

Another thing that I'm super curious about in regards to Blue Out is the part where Aoyama talks on the phone. In the Japanese, his manner of speech becomes that of a really old man which isn't how he speaks earlier on. I haven't played 25th ward in Japanese so I'm not 100% sure of how he talks, but it definitely stood out to me and I'm not exactly sure what the deal is. This was completely ignored in the translation, but I can't think of a good way to handle that myself so I can't really say much.

I find all this kinda stuff quite interesting to be honest. Heck, even the translations in the Art of Grasshopper Manufacture book have some issues. I didn't know Japanese when I first bought that book, but looking at it again, some of the translations in that aren't great.
NewWorldOrder
Duplicator Smile

Post by NewWorldOrder »

Shadows of the Damned Original Plot translation complete!

I also included the comments about the game from the Suda51 complete book.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15gCUi5 ... sp=sharing

Let me know if you have any questions/suggestions, etc.

Thanks
CENSORED
BANNED

Post by CENSORED »

GoldenRakshasa wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:12 am Shadows of the Damned Original Plot translation complete!

I also included the comments about the game from the Suda51 complete book.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15gCUi5 ... sp=sharing

Let me know if you have any questions/suggestions, etc.

Thanks
Thanks friend this is great, I might actually write an article about it (I was always planning to write up something on Kurayami eventually, but this is a very interesting skeleton key).
One of these days I'll start working on that other thing more seriously
NewWorldOrder
Duplicator Smile

Post by NewWorldOrder »

Xed51 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:35 pm Thanks friend this is great, I might actually write an article about it (I was always planning to write up something on Kurayami eventually, but this is a very interesting skeleton key).
One of these days I'll start working on that other thing more seriously
Another interesting tidbit that I came across in the Suda51 book is that Black Knight Sword was made with the second draft of Shadows of the Damned as a base. The opening where the main character has hanged himself comes from there.

I still have only read bits and pieces of that book, but there's a lot of cool stuff in Suda's comments on each game.
Deep
Spiral Smile

Post by Deep »

GoldenRakshasa wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:57 pmBlack Knight Sword was made with the second draft of Shadows of the Damned as a base.
True, that's the first thing I thought when looked at your pdf file man. It seems that "kurayami" was so big of a premise it turned into three different games and two volumes of manga. Who would've known. Oh, sorry, it's four games (if you count TSA bit).
kill the past