The Man, the Myth.. The Missing? Q spoke to me, "Mr. TD is trapped in the Black Lodge. You must Kill the Past to free him."

Moderator: MagnificentTerrorism

Deep
Spiral Smile

TSC - Lost in Translation

Post by Deep »

I know, I know. Some people think and keep thinking that TSC Remaster has questionable English translation. Now, I’m no expert on any language. But I can definitely say that this version is fine. There 5% of stuff that could’ve been addressed, but it’s not as crucial as people make it out to be. I’ve been gathering some evidence. If you have some more - feel free to share them.

There are two main issues I think could be adjusted.

1 – Lack of honorifics
English is language of information. There is no honorifics. There is only one pronoun of “You”. You can do Mister or Miss, or even Sir, but they don’t work that well or have same meaning to -san, -sama, -kun, -chan, etc. These nuances are missing from that English version, I’d bring them back where they’re supposed to be. For example: when Tokio engages in conversations with Kusabi, he calls him Kusabi-san. However, when he’s alone thinking, talking to somebody else or writing his diary up, he drops the honorific, because he really doesn’t give a fuck about the guy. Another example: Kusabi dislikes Hachisuka and doesn’t use any honorifics when he talks to her or about her. Another example: Koichi calls Akira onii-chan. In English version Koichi calls Akira – you. They dropped it here altogether.

2 – Swearing
Kusabi says bad words a lot. There is nothing wrong in swearing, where it’s needed. Japanese, just like English has only a handful of bad words. When you only speak in bad language it’s just tells everybody level of your education and culture. In the end it’s sounds repetitive in text, and that I think why some people were put off by it. Not that I agree, it works if you think about policemen within their field of work. If you have no experience with Japanese police or police in general, you can look up how on they apprehending criminals in Japan (it’s all free on YouTube). I’d tone down some stuff here and there, but if you just bite the bullet and keep playing, it’s not that jarring. Other than that, some minor and not so significant errors can be fixed.

The other topic I’d like to share some light on some translation choices that had being made in English version. I’m nitpicking the hell out of the game, so if you think these don’t mean much – they don’t. It’s just for some fun trivia knowledge.

24 Wards

There is no such thing as 24 Wards, because it is only one 24th Ward. Or district, or city, if you will. Now, 24th Ward has population only of 100 000 people. City or town with that kind of population is fine. For those who can’t trust common sense and can’t use brainpower here, in the game 25th Ward (I wonder why it’s called that) they changed 24 Wards to 24th Ward. Think about how many districts in your city. Maybe 5 or 10, it depends. Real life Tokyo has 23 districts, threated like some separate entities. The 24th one is fictional, of course.

Big Cock

Kusabi is gay and loves talking about cock and ballsacks. He refers to others as all things dicks related. English version of Big Dick is actually a good adaptation. It refers both to a policeman and a cock. Akira is tall guy, thus Big, but it’s already obvious. However, Chinchilla…I think is not. Now, hear me out. In Japanese version of the game Kusabi calls Akira as Chinchira and Dekachin. Dekachin is Big Cock, as is (and detective too). Chinchira on other hand, is not. I'm aware of slang term of "chin-chin" however, it can also relate to a cute animal (because murder look of Akira surely resembles puffy squirrel) and also can relate to Chinpira (Chimpira), the low-ranking yakuza punks. Thugs from the hood, if you will. Now, the reason why I think Kusabi actually referring to Akira being a thug is because there is other example of Kusabi miss-pronouncing some terms. This actually could be a translator overthought. When Kusabi and Sumio talk about Method Tank couple, Kusabi wants to say “Avant-garde” (Abangarudo) describing them. However, he makes a mistake and says “Avangelion” (Abangerion), which is a joke about Evangelion in itself. It’s missing from English version due to…tough thing to be translated, I suppose. You may thin of it as a discussion topic. Back to the Chinpira. Does Akira look like a big thug or a small cute animal?

100 Quiz Kumite

There is another full thread about it.
tl;dr: they had to change 50% of questions, because Westerns have no clue about Japanese 80s-90s mass media or culture. However, I’ll go out on a limb and say that some of the changed questions could’ve been better adapted or actually kept. Questions about horse fatigue, TV show Millenium, Three Kingdoms, Dolly the Sheep and PlayStation release date could’ve been kept. But what’s done is done. Now that I know actual reasoning behind the changes, I think it’s not that big of a deal.

Bad music on Radio

When we first see Kusabi in his car, he says he doesn’t really like music on radio. In fact, he was talking about Japanese genre – enka. It’s slow traditional Japanese music that you can hear in old movies. There is no slow country music in States (I might be wrong), that’s why they dropped the reference altogether.

Chat nicknames

Almost all names in Kamuidrome chats were changed. I have no explanation.

Nakategawa is a pedophile

For some reason people assumed that because Naka prefers “young girls” he’s a 1st Degree Pedophile. In Japanese version in that specific line, it says that “he is into Lolita’s”. This is may have different meaning if you’re lolicon yourself. Busted. However, in reality it refers to fashion style of young Japanese women. Not underage children. Sure, Japan obsessed with sex (Travis goal in NMH is to have sex, katana charging, etc) and all things considered. But I highly doubt that what is going on in the story of this game.

Parade fairytale

First tale in Parade is about some nightmare-eating chimera. In Japanese version it specifies actual mythical creature Baku. Dropped for obvious reasons.

Spectrum Blockbuster

Some residents of Typhoon went in the night to rent a movie in Blockbuster. It’s actually a Tsutaya net of electronic shops that still exist in Japan. But it’s a same thing and a good adaptation.

Plastic Mask

When Morikawa and Nakategawa talk about emotionless face of Kamui, they refer to some plastic mask. In Japanese version it’s a Noh mask that is used in drama theaters in Japan. Of course, reference is dropped to not confuse people even more.

Red

Tokio’s turtle name is Red. However, in Japanese versions turtle is called akamimi, which means red-eared, just like the species of the turtle itself. Its very uninspiring name, like calling your brown dog - Brown.

Yuu’s phone call

When Yuu has a call with Tokio to say the Kamui Site, she spells out every letter separately over the phone, like double-u, double-u, double-u. In English it’s just www.

Lunatic puzzles

In Japanese version they had ASCII code with katakana. Of course, it was changed to Ceasar code, which is a good change for English-speaking audience.

P.S. extra trivia F.S.R.

In the beginning of game, Peter asks Sumio for 5. 5 what? Sumio confused and thinks that 5 is not much. In reality Peter (Kusabi) is referring to 50 000, in Japanese 10 000 is “man”. Like a grand for 1000, you know. It’s quite a hard joke to reiterate in English. Like in TSC, he asks Sumio for 50 000 (go man). 5 – go.

P.S.S. extra trivia Suda51

He is not fifty-one, it’s five-one. 51 would be gojuichi. But I think ghm kind of gave up on that.

Conclusion.

There are a lot of such small things in the game that already properly adapted or dropped altogether due to difficulty of translating it. It’s not an easy game to decipher by any means. These are just some examples of stuff we are missing out on when we don’t know the language and culture of the game, movie, book, song, etc. This post isn’t about bashing the English version like some dumbfucks already thought. It’s about learning shit together and getting better at stuff we like to explore and discuss.
kill the past
Meru
Bombhead Smile

Re: TSC - Lost in Translation

Post by Meru »

Either details in the script matter or they don't. Who is this potential audience that would be confused by references to Japanese things in a Japanese game, and if such an audience exists, should they be prioritized at these costs? If there was a perfect equivalent to Enka in the USA, it would still be a shit, confusing translation because he's a JAPANESE detective in JAPAN. Where is the line? Why not change other things? This wards thing is a bit confusing, let's just go with the boroughs of New York.

There's a simple question you could ask when it comes to the treatment of a foreign piece of media. Would Criterion throw in references to Mariah Carey and Captain Planet somewhere that there weren't any before? If the answer is that Criterion wouldn't do something so shameful, and you do it anyway, you're demeaning the work.
We see a deadly sin on every street corner, in every home, and we tolerate it.
Krizzx
Giant Smile

Post by Krizzx »

I knew nothing of these things. I always thought the chinchilla thing made no sense. If I had know about the dick jokes thing with Kusabi, I probably would have gotten, since I'm familiar with jokes surrounding "chinchin"

Its annoys me when people mistranslate the English derived word "lolicon" as pedophile. It just means he likes women who look young, not that he likes having sex with children. A perfect example is Leonard Dicrapio who only dates women who are aged 18-25. He's not interested in children, he's interested in young women. Something that pisses off a lot of feminists who have taken to trying to declare men who date women who are more than a few years younger than them as taking advantage of them or being interested in children. Something that I suspect is driving these mistranslations.
Meru
Bombhead Smile

Post by Meru »

What you're saying is definitely true, but "pedophile" is nonetheless an accurate translation. The misunderstanding comes primarily from approaching this with the neurosis that afflicts foreigners. "Pedo" would be a better translation than "pedophile", it's meant as a casual kind of joke. "Nakategawa is kind of a pedo". The term lolicon as I've seen it used in Japanese media absolutely refers to pedophilia, as in sexual attraction to children, not "liking them young" Epstein-style, which is simply a given as the norm in non-weirdo cultures such as Japan.
We see a deadly sin on every street corner, in every home, and we tolerate it.
sudaca
King of Paradise Hotel

Post by sudaca »

Tell this to north americans they will brain twist over and out several times over until they are charred and would post as guests insulting you
all my posts are ironic on an endless loop until I have the upper hand in the conversation