"Inclusivity is an ongoing education for everyone, and nothing is set in stone." - Tim Schafer
Fun fact: God of War is on sale right now, but the SJWs are trying to stop it!

Moderators: WhereGamingDies, Airport51

Iwazaru
qishmish

DOOM custom campaigns & mods ~recommend

Post by Iwazaru »

You all know that custom maps, campaigns, total conversions and mods created for Doom (or Hexen) is just a pinnacle of gaming.

/micdrop

So, post the ones you enjoy or find interesting.

/regd08
wow.. we're sky high.. that shark we just jumped over is tiny.. we're so high right now (c)
Iwazaru
qishmish

Re: DOOM custom campaigns & mods ~recommend

Post by Iwazaru »

Lemme start with some...

wow.. we're sky high.. that shark we just jumped over is tiny.. we're so high right now (c)
player1
Spiral Smile

Post by player1 »

Not sure if my picks are even unique (they are not), but why not post them anyway?
But before that, FUCK I NEED TO PLAY MECHDOOMER SOMETIME... This is SICK.
Siren... I thought I'd get some Alien vibes, but upon seeing it in action it reminds me of space station levels of Duke3d. Idk why. It has that Alien vibe, but I can only think about Duke3d (ironic, since Duke3d literally references Alien, but that's just me!)
Actually, it's more surprising to me that Doom, being not only one of GOAT, it's still a big powerhouse of realizations of interesting concepts. Truly a masterpiece that stands all the trials of cruel times. Not even Quake can compete (Duke can, btw, lololol)
Guess I'll start with Lycanthorn (
I like this whole Castlevania vibe it gives and such, but 1st one plays like a classicvania with absurd difficulty at times (Fuck the fucked range of a melee weapon, almost all the time you'll get hit by these fuckers). The second one is great, more in line with metroidvanias with optional weapons, dungeons and such and fun to bhop around.
Second will be... Sharpshooter3D. It's a great shame this one was removed from steam for some reason, never looked into it, glad that I've bought it. A fucking slav(rus)core game. Retarded shit that's fun simply for the fact that you're running around familiar places.
Btw, anyone remember early 2010's with how horror conversion for HL2 were popular and people were making videos about them? I wonder why the fuck not only this trend died, as in the whole big modding community aside from big pseudo HL sequels projects, but total conversions for doom or quake weren't popular, too? Well, I guess it was all about horror games, not conversions at all. I bet TA of these videos couldn't even beat Wolf3D on easy difficulty because it's "too hard, monotonous and fuck looking for keys!!!"
Iwazaru
qishmish

Post by Iwazaru »

Glitch art masterpiece.

Rake
MPD-Psycho
Preferred pronouns: Heaven/Smile

Post by Rake »

I'm glad this thread exists, because I was just looking for somewhere to bitch about this:

Has anyone heard of "My House"? /iiam

Promising concept, a DOOM .wad inspired by House of Leaves. I heard about it on Twitter the other day and was pretty interested to check it out based on that description— problem is, only the house itself is anything like the book (not that I think it should literally recreate the book, but that the inspiration falls off and degrades into memetic clichés— which fucking sucks compared to what it shows you initially). However, certain parts shine through:

I'm wondering if they used AI to generate this image and then traced it to paper, because a lot of the smearing looks like the "strokes" AI generation tends to create (especially on some of the earlier models, like from a few months ago). If they did, very cool (if not, I'm stealing my own idea)— but either way I like it, reminds me of Marshall Arisman:

Or Stephen Gammell:

The "dog puzzle" (@15:40 in the video I linked) is one of my favorite parts of it:

(This might've been inspired by the "Quitter's Room" in Petscop, it reminded me of that and I imagine someone making something like this would be a fan. That was one of my favorite "designs" in Petscop.)

Games are an incredible vehicle to experiment with abstract "dream logic" like this, it isn't something you can get across the same way in any other medium, so I'm always happy to see retards FINALLY realizing this is the point of being a "gamedev" (artist) in the first place— if you're not using games to build dreams: Quit. /hang
David Lynch wrote:I never got any ideas from a dream. I just like dream-logic.
The non-Euclidean geometry of the house (and some other parts) are fucking awesome:

(There're better examples than this, but they're easier to describe in motion. So just watch the video.)

..again, something you can't express in any other mediums the same way— you can SHOW it in a movie, or DESCRIBE it in a book... but you can't actually go in it like you can in a game.

This kind of shit is what disappoints me with the project— why undercut yourself? I get that due to the context ("lore" /words) of the game, we could consider this to represent an earlier attempt at comedy within the development (before the game became "haunted") by the author-character, except this was (canonically within the "LORE" /words) meant to have been made in the early '00s, when ironic Shrek shit didn't exist and wouldn't have been put in something like this until the mid '10s (after everyone started ripping off cboyardee)— between that and the "liminal spaces" it doesn't sell the .wad as old at all, it makes it feel way too new (even if ironic Shrek shit feels Jurassic).
It's annoying because where the game starts off (a player recreating their own house as a map) is a brilliant set up for a meta narrative on DOOM modding within DOOM modding, especially with the House of Leaves element applied.
My issue is every time the author tries to reference anything (Shrek, Liminal Space bullshit (which I like a lot for the record, and could've worked here if it wasn't used so literally), etc.) it doesn't work— but all the shit he seems to have come up with himself (the weird shit in the house, the QR code gravestone, the dog puzzle) is really interesting:

The shit before and after Shrek /durr is really creepy and sinister.

The QR gravestone area is so fucked up, but this fag censored it (I wanted to use screenshots of his video 'cause he has better aesthetic taste which's why he disabled the DOOM HUD to make the footage look cooler), so I have to post it twice:

(See how much worse that looks? I guess that's how you're meant to see it, but these are things which improve the authors work.)

(Using a screenshot from this fag's video, the other guy's is better, but he misses some details this guy goes over— so watch both if you're interested.)

QR codes etched into stone look really fucking weird:

Anyway, now I can segue to another DOOM mod I wanted to talk about:

This isn't from DOOM, it's from Sven— but it's by RNG, who later got sick of dealing with GoldSrc and switched to ZDoom: https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=53353

Unfortunately he never finished his ZDoom version of UNI/2, but he did recently come back with a different project:

I think what he was doing with UNI looked cooler (and like a better execution of a lot of the ideas in My House), but Deluge is easily the most artistic and high effort mod of DOOM I've seen (since his attempts with UNI).

I was also reading about this DOOM II .wad:

https://archive.org/details/ColumbineDOOM2

It seems to be an attempt to realize this myth: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/4 ... l-of-doom/
Doom World wrote: [...] According to an article by Barbara Mikkelson of Snopes, an "urban legend" web site, a claim had surfaced on the internet in 1999 that

"One of the boys who murdered his classmates at Columbine High School prepared by designing new computer game levels that resembled his school and peopling them with representations of his classmates." [...] In reference to Mikkelson's statement, on page 7,043 (JC-001-007043) of the release called 11,000 Pages of Investigative Files, then-CHS student David Proctor, who had played Doom with Harris and Klebold via modem, was reported to have told "investigators"

"that earlier this year [1999] Harris had told him he designed a level of Doom that was Columbine High School." [...]
https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Columbine_Hig ... l_massacre
http://acolumbinesite.com/eric/doom.php
ImageImageImage
Rake
MPD-Psycho

Post by Rake »

After finding that DOOM II CHS map I've been looking around for other "controversial" DOOM mods (basically doesn't exist, since gamers are all conformist faggots), but I'd forgotten about this old one from /pol/:

Patricia Hernandez wrote:Games like Chris Dorner's Last Stand will never be widely accepted or considered tasteful. But that doesn't mean they can't be valuable when exploring complex, perhaps uncomfortable subjects. These games might not be good or all that useful, but that doesn't mean future games that tackle sensitive subjects can't be.

Games allow for a level of complexity that other media do not, and there is absolutely no reason that a game couldn't explore a tragic event with the same nuance as a news report or a documentary.
[Sauce]

Great point Patricia, but probably not one you'd still want to stand by (unless you could twist it to be about fags). I would love if gaming could be more like news reports and documentaries. /murder

https://archive.org/details/chris-dorners-last-stand
ImageImageImage
Rake
MPD-Psycho

Post by Rake »

Alright, after painstaking research I've found more "scary" /spooky DOOM .wads:

https://www.vidlii.com/watch?v=--zxgEDoeBZ

https://carmageddon.forumfree.it/?t=57924572&st=390

Let's get this one outta the way quick: Some POS recreation (barely) of the Christchurch Massacre— not as funny as the Dorner .wad (which is higher effort ironically, considering IIRC it was made and released during the police raid on him— shit like that is what makes the internet fun).

Then I found these (which were what I was hoping would exist)— by someone named "Abyssal":

https://www.vidlii.com/watch?v=g7MXHmISUzu

https://archive.org/details/abyssal_anti-social

Most likely, this guy didn't have the meta-intention of recreating the feeling the news and Hollywood tried to force onto DOOM (which is a lot cooler than the reality)— that it (and gaming at large) held extreme psychotropic quality (virtual reality bleed) which would cause you to go into some kind of hallucinatory fugue state rampage and commit a mass casualty event (recycled propaganda from the "War on Drugs" except there are drugs which can induce such interesting behavior, gaming is unfortunately not yet powerful enough). /murder

Van Sant's Elephant kinda makes a joke of it (which is funny), but it's also getting at something like "DOOM without The Evil Dead".
Abyssal's .wads mainly stand out to me because of the difference in scale on the sprite figures (same as that CHS .wad)— in DOOM the sprites are kind of squashed (like '80s action figures, DOOM 2016 and Eternal really play up the "He-Man" ironic nerd faggotry, which is largely why those games look like shit), giving it (and everything else like it) a much more "cartoony" feel compared to this— which is clearly trying to be sadistic and frightening.

ImageImageImage
Rake
MPD-Psycho

Post by Rake »

I remembered another artfag mod:

The spritework is pretty rough, but I like the general atmosphere (especially the pseudo-cutscene segments):

Amon26 is a good artist that's held back by horrific Gen X "Troll's Remorse" retardation— but I still like a lot of what he does. I wish he'd incorporate his graphic design and video work more into his games (as multimedia, like 51) because those things elevate his game projects more than he probably realizes.

...and I found more contraband:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/mandalay-bay-doom /jihad
ImageImageImage
Rake
MPD-Psycho

Post by Rake »

As an aside, I think it's really funny the Japanese DOOM 64 commercial looks like Columbine. /murder
ImageImageImage
ArhumMK51
Duplicator Smile

Post by ArhumMK51 »

Splatterhouse 3D. It does a pretty good job of adapting the classic gameplay in a first person format and also uses a lot of the graphics from the arcade game itself. I remember really liking the level design, though wish it received an update as the Ketchup gore system it uses is quite unoptimized and made my old laptop tank any time some dude exploded.