"Inclusivity is an ongoing education for everyone, and nothing is set in stone." - Tim Schafer
Fun fact: God of War is on sale right now, but the SJWs are trying to stop it!

Moderators: WhereGamingDies, Airport51

Isness
Heaven Smile

One sitting Games

Post by Isness »

Thread about videogames you can complete on a saturday afternoon in one sitting and feel satisfied from beginning to end. For me, the peak of this "genre" would be 2006 Prey.

The game works pretty much like Half Life but in a newer engine. After a sequence setting the character in the real world, you go through a linear path through a gigantic and very interesting to look at instalation filled with aliens, and from time to time you have to complete very light puzzles with many mechanics the game introduced: from flying exoskeletons to gravity flippers. Most of the game is going between different setpieces, all of them very sort but very varied. It's a very sort, very linear, and unfortunately, very easy game. I think the game could be expanded much more without feeling boring, but all there is, is good.
melonbread
Spiral Smile

Re: One sitting Games

Post by melonbread »

I dig the 2006 Prey. I dig that developer’s earlier game, Rune, even more.

Also you said sort instead of short once, which I figured was just a typo, but then you did so again! Nothing sort of intriguing…a short of mystery, if you will.

Most of the greatest “one sitting” games are shmups, imo. Problem is, most great shmups are pretty difficult, so it’s got to be one that you, personally, know well and can get through.
".ᴎoiꙅivɘ|ɘƚ ᴎɒʜƚ ᴎuᎸ ɘɿom ɘɿɒ ꙅɿoɿɿim"
Cat
Bombhead Smile

Post by Cat »

Kane & Lynch 2 is over before you know it.
Aside from a few technical issues which can be frustrating it hits all the buttons for me.
A thoughtful and attractive game with the sensation of falling forwards.
Will write a longer post. Just wanted to jot this down before I forgot.

Hotline Miami and Gitaroo Man are a couple of other favourites.
"Don't be crazy.
I would never go near such a poisonous flower.
She is carnivorous. She disgusts me"
sudaca
King of Paradise Hotel

Post by sudaca »

DoDonpachi, Mars Matrix, Sol Cresta
Even in hard modes once you get the dancing technique going they're a thrill.
I have not gotten to the 2nd NG+ endings yet though
all my posts are ironic on an endless loop until I have the upper hand in the conversation
Iwazaru
qishmish

Post by Iwazaru »

Dancing, you say...

wow.. we're sky high.. that shark we just jumped over is tiny.. we're so high right now (c)
sudaca
King of Paradise Hotel

Post by sudaca »

hardcore. atm CAVE is making a sale which, is basically just taking the taxes off the purchase (13% off), got Mushihimesama Dodonpachi Rmake (seems almost identical to the original) and エスプガルーダ, brutal, fun and I'm glad I'm sending money to the good guys
all my posts are ironic on an endless loop until I have the upper hand in the conversation