"Inclusivity is an ongoing education for everyone, and nothing is set in stone." - Tim Schafer
Fun fact: God of War is on sale right now, but the SJWs are trying to stop it!

Moderators: WhereGamingDies, Airport51

melonbread
Spiral Smile

Your All-Time Favorite Games?

Post by melonbread »

Some people say "I don't DO favorites!". These people are cowards.

Now, yes, my favorites (below my top 10) do fluctuate, but I love lists and I love games and I love playing favorites, so here are my "My 150 Favorite Games Of All Time"!

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/Lagartij ... -all-time/

Now, you obviously don't have to share your Top 150 (though I dare you to, BIITCH!), but feel free to share your top 5, 10, 15, 20. A list! And it better be in order! If you're not brave enough, don't even post. This thread separates the boys from the men from the ladyboys.

Piss off with your anti-favorites bullshit, wimp! In other words...

".ᴎoiꙅivɘ|ɘƚ ᴎɒʜƚ ᴎuᎸ ɘɿom ɘɿɒ ꙅɿoɿɿim"
Iwazaru
qishmish

Re: Your All-Time Favorite Games?

Post by Iwazaru »

i'm scawed
wow.. we're sky high.. that shark we just jumped over is tiny.. we're so high right now (c)
melonbread
Spiral Smile

Post by melonbread »

You joke…but I see no games.

Too afraid to ball with the men, it would seem. You gay?
melonbread
Spiral Smile

Post by melonbread »

CENSORED
BANNED

Post by CENSORED »

Nothing can compare, I think the Kojimaesque genre-bending post-modernist style has finally been perfected with this masterpiece
melonbread
Spiral Smile

Post by melonbread »

I don't doubt its gameplay's merits. However, I doubt its story compares to that of this film. Now, before the autistic peanut gallery, all likely ornery and on the rag, chime in simultaneously to point out the obvious, I'm AWARE this ain't a video game and "apples and oranges", blah blah blah. However, 1) No one else gives a flying fuck enough to actually post even ONE unironic favorite game in this thread I made and 2) It technically was a pretty dangerous "game" for Ken Russell, possibly my favorite director (tough call), every time he made a film, let alone one about Hitler. This is just the teaser. If you can find the full short film, well, enjoy it, but don't watch it a public library. If you do and get caught, do NOT tell them who told you about it. Oh, who am I kidding? libraries aren't a thing anymore. Those went out of style years back, along with fidget spinners, the dance known as "the stanky leg", and responsible, safe sex and personal accountability after unexpected pregnancies that specifically and objectively occur due to the transactional casualization of intercourse.......

......but anyway, a kitten for Hitler! Cats and Nazis. One is what the internet really is full of and was practically made for, and the other is a group whose presence online I'd wager is definitely larger than it should be (i.e. if it were just one that's more there than should be) but I bet the number of actual goose-stepping Neo-Nazis is so staggeringly meager compared to what anti-racists (a.k.a fans of oxygen, people who are anti-war, people who at the very least respect The Beatles, etc.) think it is. I mean, sure, there's probably large cabals of Neo-Nazis on the deepest recesses of the dark web, secretly shootin the shit, which to them means shooting Jews , not talking, while posting various heinous memes. Heinous not for their hateful rhetoric but for the logic said rhetoric is based on, which is typically borderline retarded. Admittedly, "The Heinous Retards" WAS my punk band in middle school, but that's just coincidental.

Anyway here's the fucking teaser, which is so tame, I don't even know why I'm posting it. Just watch the actual short if you can. Below the trailer, though, is a song by one of the greatest bands to walk this Flat Earth, which I'm posting simply because I like to write my posts like some sort of stream of consciousness, William S. Burroughs-esque word salad, hopping from idea to idea, letting anarchic whimsy be my guide. It popped into my mind when I typed out "cats and nazis" and then remembered how much I love the song. Is just posting a second YouTube link on a forum about style-over-substance Jap-made art-fag "games" really Burroughs-esque? Not even close. BUT I am like him in some ways. I did accidentally shoot my wife in the head and I do love a good Thai ladyboy to share some hallucinogens with.

Hey, judge me if you want, but an overrated writer has needs.

Cat
Bombhead Smile

Post by Cat »

My favourite video game is D4.
"Don't be crazy.
I would never go near such a poisonous flower.
She is carnivorous. She disgusts me"
Cat
Bombhead Smile

Post by Cat »

To clarify I like the PC version that's played using a mouse.
"Don't be crazy.
I would never go near such a poisonous flower.
She is carnivorous. She disgusts me"
anthony
Camellia Smile

Post by anthony »

For me the #1 goes to the original UFO: Enemy Unknown.

I think it's a perfect game. I can't imagine another game trying to do what it does surpassing it. It's a practically perfect realisation of its premise. There's a setting, a premise, goals, tools, options, freedom. It all works together. Everything you do in this game feels right and reasonable and compelling. Stakes are always high, goals are always clear, options are always open.

It's easier to see this game as perfect because in addition to various attempts at successors, it also got a spiritual 'remake' which completely betrayed the spirit of the original and made plain in many ways why the original works and is timeless. There's a perfect internal sense and harmony to how everything works in the original game which is completely betrayed by the remake. The original, despite being ancient, works on logic that feels perfectly sound and intuitive. It's all "of course I would do that, it makes sense to". Shoot things until they die. Bring as much stuff as humanly possible to conflicts to win. Playing the original X-Com *well* makes you do things which make sense. In all of my years of playing I've never found a true *cheese* tactic in X-Com. If something works it's because it makes sense.

In contrast, in the remake once people worked out more efficient ways to play the game became completely gay because optimal play looks nothing like the cool operator experience the game is meant to be, because the game's systems aren't robust enough to enable ostensibly sensible ideas to work. Getting good at the original game is about honing an organic sense for how to carry out a smallish scale gunfight at a decent level of fidelity. We aren't running a hard simulation of reality, but it feels like a simplified version of how such a scenario *ought to work*. Getting good at the remake is not about what *ought to work*, the game is very particular, rigid, and fussy about what does and does not work. It's logic is very rigid, and very simple. It has *VERY BIG BLIND SPOTS*. Once discovered, playing the game *well* revolves entirely around these blind spots. And so it's now hideously boring and an inharmonious experience. The original game is a lower fidelity simulation of a war against aliens. The new game is a war against game mechanics.

This is my idea of what really makes a game great. This harmony. Is everything about the game pulling towards the realisation of the same vision? You don't have to dislike the vision, but is the work well realised? In my opinion no strategy game has realised this harmony better ever since. For strategy games if I'm not playing X-Com I'm probably playing modding X-Com. That's the other amazing thing. The screenshot above is from a mod, 'The X-Com Files'. The game's wonderful balance of fidelity and accessibility makes it an outstanding platform for building other games. Over the years X-Com modding has progressed from fixing bugs in the original game to the creation of total conversion mods which play like entirely new successor games on the same foundation.

I have a few other favourite games, and I might write about them here in the future. A common theme is that they achieve my standard of realisation to a very high level as well. A tentative top 5 might be:

1: UFO: Enemy Unknown
2: Super Mario 64
3: Halo: Combat Evolved
4: Dead Rising
5: Pikmin
melonbread
Spiral Smile

Post by melonbread »

Thanks, Anthony. That’s what I’m talkin’ about. That’s why I made this thread. Honorary Big Dog status for this dog. Everyone else are literal cowards.