Irashaimase, welcome to the First Class VIP (Vagina Is Pretty) area. Only gentlemen of taste are allowed to move in. Take it or leave it MOTHAFUCKA!!! Go back to China if you're too much of a FAG (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*.✧

Moderators: CutieHoney, MeisaKuroki

Krizzx
Giant Smile

Eiyudeen Chronicles localization was butchered :(

Post by Krizzx »

Ugh... I was so looking forward to this game for year. I should not have rushed to buy when I saw it had released. The performance on the Switch version is ass, but that's got nothing on the shitty progressive politics filled localization and all the modern slang injected into it.

NOTE: This was written by the guy who did the localization

I gave up when I got to the part where a guy called Nowa "Aniki" meaning brother in a non-fraternal way and the localization translated it as "my cousin!!!" I had a feeling something was off with the text from the start, but I was certain something was up after that. That's when I went online and found out that the translation was done by a progressive translator who said it was his mission to remove all instances of "gendered language" from games he works on. The same shit that happened to Fire Emblem Engage's localization and the reason I didn't buy that.

I can't get a refund on the Switch, unfortunately. Teaches me not to buy things on blind faith. Its a damn shame what' they've done, though. Eiyuden Chronicles was the Suikoden creator Yoshitaka Murayama's final game(he died a few months ago just shy of this releasing) and they butchered his script in the English version with identity politics, political tropes insertions, and twitter slang.

I am so pissed. I always play with original dubs to try to get it as accurate to the creators intent as possible. Hearing the huge contrast between what the Japanese dialogue says(I can understand a decent amount of Japanese) and what the localization wrote is stomach turning. Its like a slap in the face.

In fire Emblem Engage's case, there was a fan "RE"translation that you could play with emu's. I'm hoping there is something similar for this eventually.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1658280/ ... 257058565/

EDIT: Apparently, this is far from his first rodeo...

TheWhiteRabbit
Heaven Smile

Re: Eiyudeen Chronicles localization was butchered :(

Post by TheWhiteRabbit »

From what you said in the past, your opinion is that this kind of propaganda is pushed by Conservative Republicans in order to discredit Progressive Democrats, correct?
I tend to agree with you. I'm not surprised that this would come up now, so close to a new election. "Localisation" is a real hot topic among Trump/Chud/MAGApede people. They think that by voting Republican, their waifu games will be finally translated "correctly" haha. Historically it was always conservative christians who rushed to censor videogames. Not to mention, the direct 1:1 translations they think they want are actually impossible, you can't just take Japanese words and translate them into English directly... the sentence structure is very different, and there are cultural references that just wouldn't make sense. Of course, making up a completely different English script is almost as bad, but at least allows us western gamers to experience the game.
“This is... the host for the spirit of the slayer of God...”
Krizzx
Giant Smile

Post by Krizzx »

No, In the past it was predominantly pushed by Republicans(I'll never call a Republican a conservative) and the *pretend* Christian sect. Now its also being pushed by Progressives who are only semantically different than Republicans. Meaning that their reasons differ on paper, but their actions and goals are fundamentally the same and just as awful. They both want everything and everyone to conform their beliefs, preferences, , and want freedoms restricted or outright removed wherever people refuse to agree them. They both censor and ban media that harms no one if it doesn't align with their political ideology.

When the scripts is entirely different and the content has been altered or outright removed like in Fire Emblem If/Fates, you're not really experiencing the game. You're experiencing subpar a fanfiction. You're experiencing KungPow Enter the Chicken or Dragonball Z Abridged, but with all the entertaining factors blunted or absent.

They rewrite plotlines and make them boring and uninteresting, not because the audience has an issue with it, but because "they" have an issue with it using the potential fantasy scenario that this could "offend" someone as an excuse. They use their position to dictate what others are allowed to find acceptable or consume. They are authoritarian bigots who present their bigotry as virtuousness.
TheWhiteRabbit
Heaven Smile

Post by TheWhiteRabbit »

Krizzx wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:28 pm No, In the past it was predominantly pushed by Republicans(I'll never call a Republican a conservative) and the *pretend* Christian sect. Now its also being pushed by Progressives who are only semantically different than Republicans. Meaning that their reasons differ on paper, but their actions and goals are fundamentally the same and just as awful. They both want everything and everyone to conform their beliefs, preferences, , and want freedoms restricted or outright removed wherever people refuse to agree them. They both censor and ban media that harms no one if it doesn't align with their political ideology.

When the scripts is entirely different and the content has been altered or outright removed like in Fire Emblem If/Fates, you're not really experiencing the game. You're experiencing subpar a fanfiction. You're experiencing KungPow Enter the Chicken or Dragonball Z Abridged, but with all the entertaining factors blunted or absent.

They rewrite plotlines and make them boring and uninteresting, not because the audience has an issue with it, but because "they" have an issue with it using the potential fantasy scenario that this could "offend" someone as an excuse. They use their position to dictate what others are allowed to find acceptable or consume. They are authoritarian bigots who present their bigotry as virtuousness.
While I generally agree with you, it is also true that the "translation purity" gang has been using this argument to push for more authoritarian restrictions. These kinds of twitter scandals do not explode at random, they are timed to coincide with elections to push people into voting for Trump. Biden is not any better, as evidenced by his family funding the muslim hordes of Hamas, but at least Democrats try to keep the status quo instead of inciting rebellions.
So again, while I do agree that rewriting the game is bad, one must also avoid falling into the pitfalls of supporting authoritarians for the sake of saving animu waifus (which they would happily throw into the trash if they were in power anyway) /tronconeuse
JerryMig
Camellia Smile

Post by JerryMig »

idk wtf you two are talking about with progressives and republicans and trump and biden. These so called lireral translations done with machines fucking suck and are soulless. There's a reason why the Wolsey translation of ff3 is still fondly remembered to this day while nobody gives a shit about so called fan translators using chatgpt
JerryMig
Camellia Smile

Post by JerryMig »

Earthbound and Chrono Trigger are all time classics in the west while nobody gives a fuck about them in Japan specifically because the people you make fun of today went and wrote a decent script over dull and boring ching chong runes
Krizzx
Giant Smile

Post by Krizzx »

JerryMig wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:39 pm Earthbound and Chrono Trigger are all time classics in the west while nobody gives a fuck about them in Japan specifically because the people you make fun of today went and wrote a decent script over dull and boring ching chong runes

Earthbound and Chrono Trigger are so popular in the west for the same reason as Voltron and Speed Racer. They were the first of any notable Japanese anime that was consumed by most Americans and it blew their mind do to how different it was compared to what they were used to.

The original version of Voltron, Go Lion, was a forgettable C tier mech anime, but for Americans, they had never seen anything like it. Americans still define the entire mech genre by it. Same with the Powers Rangers and Sentai shows.

It was the same case with Earthbound and Chrono Trigger. It had little to do with the localization. Robotech, Americanized version of Macross, is seen as garbage now because it was so badly butchered from its source material. The games also kept a large part of their Japanese story and characterizations in tact. This is not the case with the things I'm talking about. They've basically been rewritten by individuals who can't write.

There is a point where you are basically no longer consuming the Japanese work at all, but instead a parody. The localizations of Eiyuden Chronicles: 100 Heroes and Fire Emblem: Engage and If/Fates fit that description with the insertion of gender politics, and the localizers completely altering certain character personalities and way of speaking as he sees fit. We aren't getting the late Yoshitaka Murayama's story and characters. We are getting Brian Gray's story and characters. His characters have all the women being more mean spirited and condescending to males and more serious characters spouting immature trash talk with internet slang.
TheWhiteRabbit
Heaven Smile

Post by TheWhiteRabbit »

Krizzx wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 1:43 am
JerryMig wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:39 pm Earthbound and Chrono Trigger are all time classics in the west while nobody gives a fuck about them in Japan specifically because the people you make fun of today went and wrote a decent script over dull and boring ching chong runes

Earthbound and Chrono Trigger are so popular in the west for the same reason as Voltron and Speed Racer. They were the first of any notable Japanese anime that was consumed by most Americans and it blew their mind do to how different it was compared to what they were used to.

The original version of Voltron, Go Lion, was a forgettable C tier mech anime, but for Americans, they had never seen anything like it. Americans still define the entire mech genre by it. Same with the Powers Rangers and Sentai shows.

It was the same case with Earthbound and Chrono Trigger. It had little to do with the localization. Robotech, Americanized version of Macross, is seen as garbage now because it was so badly butchered from its source material. The games also kept a large part of their Japanese story and characterizations in tact. This is not the case with the things I'm talking about. They've basically been rewritten by individuals who can't write.

There is a point where you are basically no longer consuming the Japanese work at all, but instead a parody. The localizations of Eiyuden Chronicles: 100 Heroes and Fire Emblem: Engage and If/Fates fit that description with the insertion of gender politics, and the localizers completely altering certain character personalities and way of speaking as he sees fit. We aren't getting the late Yoshitaka Murayama's story and characters. We are getting Brian Gray's story and characters. His characters have all the women being more mean spirited and condescending to males and more serious characters spouting immature trash talk with internet slang.
Maybe I am misunderstanding the situation, but didn't you say that the translation aimed to remove all instances of gender? So wouldn't it be colored by the translator's opposition to gender politics? Meaning they are possibly transphobic. It seems to me from your examples that such things were removed, not added, but I have not played the game in question so maybe I'm wrong. /faireuncoucou