Here's MUH OC, DONUT steal AYY LMAO! This is the space for FAN WANKERY.
"i no to long jump here and here life you no"
- My black friend

Moderator: ConSmithsAngel

UnrealAddict
Heaven Smile

Killer 7 Multiplayer

Post by UnrealAddict »

Earlier in 2023, I decided to remake Killer 7 mechanics with networking in UE4, basically the game with multiplayer.
Here's the result: https://streamable.com/6ikskw

IF YOU WANT TO PLAY IT IN ITS CURRENT STATE:
DOWNLOAD (Windows)
1. Download https://www.radmin-vpn.com/ (Warning: It'll always start on boot. I always found it annoying but I used it to play certain games with friends.)
2. Everyone join the same network.
3. One person must host. Copy host's IP into the in-game address bar and join in.

Or have the game running on an actual server and hosting then connect to it's IP (? Not sure haven't tried).

Now the question is, how to make it fun(ny)? I was working on the ability to play as a Smile, for a later update, an avenue of psychological game...
WesleySnipes
Machine Of Pain

Re: Killer 7 Multiplayer

Post by WesleySnipes »

i will play this game for free with my cousin next year. it doesnt look so amazing yet, but it has a good theme, and a good graphics, and a great gameplay. i think you should try it if you like puzzle games, and if you have some free time during the holidays. :)
The dragon breathes truth into its lips, and that is what we call our natural intelligence.
Meru
Bombhead Smile

Post by Meru »

This looks like an interesting project.

I think there are a lot of things which would be cool in multiplayer. If it were me I think I might try creating greater distance between the players. Consider the boss fights in k7, many are arranged with such a separation.

Looking forward to seeing how things progress.
We see a deadly sin on every street corner, in every home, and we tolerate it.
Rake
MPD-Psycho
Preferred pronouns: Heaven/Smile

Post by Rake »

Glad to see your project on the forum! /w00t
Meru wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:43 am [...] I think there are a lot of things which would be cool in multiplayer. If it were me I think I might try creating greater distance between the players. Consider the boss fights in k7, many are arranged with such a separation. [...]
Good idea, the Ayame fight is in that giant parking lot to make it so you and her can still kinda "miss" and simulate a gunfight with another opponent within killer7's system. /jihad
Could try experimenting with various sorts of tunnels or obstructions too, as a way to add cover while moving:

Have you ever heard of this game, The Club? Probably not, I don't think anyone has~HaHA!
It totally flopped /tomb but I found it via the Steam port years ago and played it:

It's not great, but it is original:

Technically, it's just a third person shooter, but, what makes it (slightly) different is the extreme focus on forward momentum (the only thing it really has in common with killer7, and why I'm mentioning it at all), more similar to Japanese arcade games— which makes sense it was Bizarre Creations published by SEGA, since it's almost an attempt to merge or redirect the '00s 3PS trend back toward '80s old-school run 'n' gun's like Contra (though it doesn't have any of the surrealistic elements, which killer7 was one of the few games from that era which kept it up).
It's the only game by Bizarre Creations /spooky I've bothered to play, since it seems like the weirdest game from their catalog (though I'll give them Wiz 'n' Liz had some pretty weird bosses) and was maybe taking after Smokin' Aces:

You see it the most here, in the cinematic trailer:

Anyways, it had up to 4 player split screen, and online multiplayer:

And you can see some footage where you can actually tell WTF is going on here ('cause I guess people got it working again via emulation):

The other game that might be a good reference is Umbrella Corps:

For one specific reason: Zombies and other monsters constantly spawn while you're in gunfights with other players /spam4 meaning PvP combat is interrupted frequently, in a way which creates more diversity in combat interactions and extends match time.
I think that would be the best way to get killer7's combat mechanics to work in multi-player— having the various Heaven Smiles spawning randomly in the same way, interrupting gunfights and forcing players to move and look more often because they have to manage the NPC enemies during PvP combat. /murder You can see more general gameplay here:

You could also look into map design from '90s style FPS games (like Unreal Tournament, Quake, Halo CE, etc.):

/shoot
ImageImageImage
sudaca
King of Paradise Hotel

Post by sudaca »

people in south america used to get the club for a cheap key for gfwl
and never play it ever
I'll follow the tradition but, K7 multiplayer, would be fun as a MGS3 snake vs soldiers mode, with 7 people being heaven smiles and 1 being garcian. Choosing the best combo of heaven smile for each player and trying to ruin the overpowered garcian by willpower, or garcian coming through by sheer force of God's will.
all my posts are ironic on an endless loop until I have the upper hand in the conversation
lastliv1ngt3aers
Camellia Smile

Post by lastliv1ngt3aers »

UnrealAddict wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:08 am Earlier in 2023, I decided to remake Killer 7 mechanics with networking in UE4, basically the game with multiplayer.
Here's the result: https://streamable.com/6ikskw

IF YOU WANT TO PLAY IT IN ITS CURRENT STATE:
DOWNLOAD (Windows)
1. Download https://www.radmin-vpn.com/ (Warning: It'll always start on boot. I always found it annoying but I used it to play certain games with friends.)
2. Everyone join the same network.
3. One person must host. Copy host's IP into the in-game address bar and join in.

Or have the game running on an actual server and hosting then connect to it's IP (? Not sure haven't tried).

Now the question is, how to make it fun(ny)? I was working on the ability to play as a Smile, for a later update, an avenue of psychological game...
wow,
UnrealAddict
Heaven Smile

Post by UnrealAddict »

These are all good ideas. My idea for the playable smile is that you're on rails like Dan, however the vision ring is greatly nerfed as it can only reveal smiles near the center of the screen and has a cooldown.
UnrealAddict
Heaven Smile

Post by UnrealAddict »

Just implemented a team select recently. Just noting here that this game is basically new ground in terms of gameplay. We've discussed how it could work like amongus, or TTT. But I honestly think this could lead to something new here.