"Inclusivity is an ongoing education for everyone, and nothing is set in stone." - Tim Schafer
Fun fact: God of War is on sale right now, but the SJWs are trying to stop it!

Moderators: WhereGamingDies, Airport51

Rake
MPD-Psycho
Preferred pronouns: Heaven/Smile

Re: DOOM custom campaigns & mods ~recommend

Post by Rake »

I found some more weird shit via this Aquarius199 guy:

https://cloud.mail.ru/public/2Dct/2UV4ppzJR

1993 doesn't look that fun to play, but it shows how easy it is to make DOOM more atmospheric— and I always preferred DOOM as a horror game anyway (though I like how hyperactive and manic DOOM II is, which is what I disliked about 3, I want both the mania and the noir dread like Madness Combat: Depredation), which is why I like 3 the most. Something else I like about it (and to bring up Madness again) are the difficulty names:

I don't like the upside down cross though, bait. But still, good effort with the "pretentious" artfag wording— that's always cool if you're doing some experimental edgelord art like this. /murder

https://www.moddb.com/mods/the-hotel-lost-contact

The Hotel - Lost Contact reminds me of shit I'd daydream about over 9,001 years ago while playing missions in hotels like Hitman: Contracts and GTA IV (that one where you have to ice those NYC diamond district kikes, Oy vey! Somevuddy call de Shomrim!). It highlights how well it works out— since DOOM maps all feel like giant mazes of hallways regardless of where the fuck you're supposed to be ("spaceship corridors" n' shit being boring as fuck doesn't help either) using a hotel setting to create labyrinths is a smart way to aesthetically ground how playing DOOM feels within (plausibly) real world logic.

And hey, it got an update just a month ago! Kinda looks like a Puppet Combo version of Police Quest now— pretty cool. /jihad

https://www.2shared.com/file/Uij1UQ8Q/7869.html

7869 has been the closest thing to a proto MyHouse I've found, particularly in the 2nd to last area with the house 'doppelganger'— I wonder if this was the inspiration for the "dog puzzle" in MyHouse, because it functions the same (except in 7869 it doesn't seem like there is any "solution", or at least no option).
I'm impressed how creepy Underhalls gets just by removing all the enemies and sounds. /saw Both 7869 and 1993 feel more like those old experimental Flash games (or semi-interactive animations) people used to make back in the day, but it seems 7869 is based on a creepypasta: https://creepypasta-nighttime.fandom.co ... nk_to_Wad) so it might not be that old.

I liked it better when I had no clue WTF it was /hurr but it's not this guy's fault— that was just an accidental thing where I found the .wad before the explanation and that improved it (that's what I get for tryna source shit). /emo
ImageImageImage
Iwazaru
qishmish

Post by Iwazaru »

My favorite creator now makes a wad inspired by Killing Time (1995, 3DO).

wow.. we're sky high.. that shark we just jumped over is tiny.. we're so high right now (c)
ArhumMK51
Duplicator Smile

Post by ArhumMK51 »

lilith.pk3 had a successor released earlier this year.
Skorr
Heaven Smile

Post by Skorr »

I've played a few megawads, of which my favorite is Sunlust. Sadly I don't have many pictures of my own, but:

Not only does it look fantastic but all the levels are really well designed from a gameplay perspective. You can watch playthroughs on youtube and get the idea:

Other than that, I recommend Valiant, Eviternity, and Ancient Aliens. All of these are many hours worth of gameplay, never boring, never tedious, always free, and much more fun than the vast majority of modern games.

Brutal DOOM is well made but a different sort of experience imo. I prefer the WADs that don't mess with much besides textures/enemies.
Qwanon
Heaven Smile

Post by Qwanon »

I like Foreverhood, a very short (and sadly unfinished since 2007) little game made in the GZDoom engine about travelling through a dream forest.

A different wad from the 00s, also about wandering through some dark woods loaded with innocence and melancholy. This time is just a new small map for Doom, but it's one I find particularly beautiful, made so you can get lost within it.

Qwanon
Heaven Smile

Post by Qwanon »

Another total conversion .wad I like is Solace Dreams.

The mod was made by Zygo/Ermin, an italian mapper, who got a bit of an overblown infamy - recently renewed due to Mexpo channels unceremoniously bringing it out of the grave - over a very small but macabre mod he did while as a teenager, called Rootpain, about abortion.

A few years later, the idea of Rootpain would grow into Solace Dreams, a game in which you play as a japanese high school girl, Yuna, going through the nightmares of her classmates in order to tackle their inner demons through violence. It's a completely different violence than in Doom: Yuna is very slow, ammo is sparse, and death comes fast. Combat is best avoided, but no matter what, you will have to fight the bosses at the end of each of her classmates nightmares, and they're crushing.

It's clearly a game with very japanese sensibilities, as you can see, and the comparisons with japanese games like Dark Souls and Silent Hill are sadly unavoidable (including by the author); but it does its very own thing very well outside of simple imitation of Japan, being full of very overt references to western adolescent culture - and this culture seen from a japanese vantage point and clashing with it is what makes this game special to me.

There was a "remake" in the works also made by Ermin, which would be much more larger and complex - and an alpha or a demo was already released for it, which I haven't yet played, but for a reason I ignore he removed it from the Internet and apparently he has moved to other projects.

Iwazaru
qishmish

Post by Iwazaru »

Foreverhood is amazing, and one of most influential TCs for me. Same with ZanZan (well, im zeno clash fanboy, what else to expect).
wow.. we're sky high.. that shark we just jumped over is tiny.. we're so high right now (c)
ArhumMK51
Duplicator Smile

Post by ArhumMK51 »

SIGIL II by John Romero releases in an hour
https://romero.com/sigil
ArhumMK51
Duplicator Smile

Post by ArhumMK51 »

Eviternity II is out, lovely artwork.
https://eviternity.dfdoom.com/