The Man, the Myth.. The Missing? Q spoke to me, "Mr. TD is trapped in the Black Lodge. You must Kill the Past to free him."

Moderator: MagnificentTerrorism

player1
Spiral Smile

Re: FSR and Danganronpa 2

Post by player1 »

水銀鬼神 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:48 am A very interesting fact about Danganronpa's director, Kazutaka Kodaka, is that his favorite game of all time is... Killer7. Indeed, he is one of us.
I think it's more of a gamer generation stuff. Human made cult classic games, Suda's input in FireProSpecial and Moonlight Syndrome especially was controversial. I guess a lot of dudes who enjoyed progressive vidya were interested in his works back then.
There's also Uchikoshi who likes TSC, and that SciADV dude Shikura was a Human employee at one point.
All roads eventually lead to Human.
Iwazaru
qishmish

Post by Iwazaru »

Don't forget Ishizaka worked on Danganronpa games.

Yes, ISZK.
wow.. we're sky high.. that shark we just jumped over is tiny.. we're so high right now (c)
水銀鬼神
Heaven Smile

Post by 水銀鬼神 »

player1 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:42 am
水銀鬼神 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:48 am A very interesting fact about Danganronpa's director, Kazutaka Kodaka, is that his favorite game of all time is... Killer7. Indeed, he is one of us.
I think it's more of a gamer generation stuff. Human made cult classic games, Suda's input in FireProSpecial and Moonlight Syndrome especially was controversial. I guess a lot of dudes who enjoyed progressive vidya were interested in his works back then.
There's also Uchikoshi who likes TSC, and that SciADV dude Shikura was a Human employee at one point.
All roads eventually lead to Human.
This is a pretty good point. Mikami himself enjoyed The Silver Case (most likely) and this prompted him into pushing Killer7 to the Capcom Five's paylist. It's pretty much a cult hit regardless of Moonlight Syndrome's controversy, which still inspired games like Siren. However, I think Danganronpa goes a bit too deep in the "inspiration" hole, becoming something closer to a modern homage to Kill The Past at times. I would compare it to the way Paradise Killer is a clear classic Suda51 throwback, and how Neon White is clearly, directly said to be inspired by Killer7. It feels more derivative than VA-11 Hall-A or AI The Somnium Files, for instance.

Especially considering how multilayered the Suda inspired concepts and ideas are in Kodaka's games. It's in the writing, it's in the visuals, it's directly referenced in multiple instances in different games. It's also Kodaka's favorite game of all time, even if he says he could "never write a story like that" due to being rather different from what he is used to write. If all roads eventually lead to Human Entertainment, Kodaka games are a branch road that connects with the Grasshopper highway.

PS: I think it's funny how I played Human Entertainment games such as S.O.S. and Clock Tower before going deep into Grasshopper or Sandlot's work. When I found out that these were adjacent companies, everything made more sense than it should lol