The perfect club to WINE and DINE, KILL and UNWIND. Heaven Smiles when you speak BULLSHIT, perhaps fate shall smile at you as well.

Moderator: LGBTQanon

Iwazaru
qishmish

Surrealist films [Re-Thread]

Post by Iwazaru »

I'm looking for surrealist films of similar style to David Lynch's Fire Walk with me - Inland Empire era.
I heard that the animu dude Satoshi Kun is somewhat similar. I've only seen Perfect Blue which was good. Are there any others from his work that I should check out?
I loved his Paprika, though its more dreamy.
I remember hearing an animated japanese movie about a girl joining a circus of freaks but sadly cant remember the name of the movie. Last I recall the movie seemed surrealistic.
Hey you mean Midori based on Suehiro Maruo's manga? It's my all time fav drama

*shoujo tsubaki is alternative title
https://youtu.be/ShF8AgQJ7Ik
Yeah that one!

Also that dreaded El Topo movie SUDA namedropped just to look cool is surreal and part of the inspiration for David Lynch when he was just starting out.
Didn't know whether I should make a topic for this or not, but does anyone know of the kerberos series, stuff like Jin Roh?

Well apparently there are two other movies in the series, live action movies that are, well, weird as fuck.

Honestly I was disappointed to find out about this since I loved the political thriller angle of Jin Roh and the comics. There are also other movies in the series relating to fast food, which is apparently illegal in their world, lol.
wow.. we're sky high.. that shark we just jumped over is tiny.. we're so high right now (c)
Beat
Heaven Smile

Re: Surrealist films [Re-Thread]

Post by Beat »

The Prisoner got some good psychedelic sci-fi vibes. Mainly because its old.

Cat
Bombhead Smile

Post by Cat »

"Don't be crazy.
I would never go near such a poisonous flower.
She is carnivorous. She disgusts me"
melonbread
Spiral Smile

Post by melonbread »

The Saragossa Manuscript
".ᴎoiꙅivɘ|ɘƚ ᴎɒʜƚ ᴎuᎸ ɘɿom ɘɿɒ ꙅɿoɿɿim"
player1
Spiral Smile

Post by player1 »

I don't know why, but sometimes I remember "A Page of Madness" out of the blue. Though originally I wanted to remember a film that I planned to watch along with "Pastoral: To Die in the Country", but I forgot its name. I think they were somewhat similar in surreal vibes, but that one movie was a short one. Eh, I'll remember it someday.
Iwazaru
qishmish

Post by Iwazaru »

Seems to be an interesting movie.

He is the son of a blind owner, daily turning on the tape recorder with a childish squeal to give the impression that their place is full.

She is the only girl, it seems, in the gloomy and rainy world around them, who dreams of going to an island with the alluring name of Tuvalu. Of course they couldn't help but meet.
wow.. we're sky high.. that shark we just jumped over is tiny.. we're so high right now (c)
cj_iwakura
Camellia Smile

Post by cj_iwakura »

Here's a wild one for you: Valerie and her Week of Wonders.

https://www.criterion.com/films/27860-v ... of-wonders

The Czech New Wave was on some crazy ish.
Iwazaru
qishmish

Post by Iwazaru »

Yeah, Valerie a týden divů is very dreamy and strange - just like FSR.
I dislike the cover that Criterion chose, though. Too kitsch /yawn

Second Run had released another version in recent years which has different colour correction and slightly different amount of extra.
https://www.secondrundvd.com/release_valerieBD.html

Another movie of interest might be Kytice. Though I guess it's just based on folklore.

cj_iwakura
Camellia Smile

Post by cj_iwakura »

Yeah, I dig that cover way more, though I wish they'd done something more colorful to evoke the film's vibe.

cj_iwakura
Camellia Smile

Post by cj_iwakura »

Wow, this poster is top shelf: