Irashaimase, welcome to the First Class VIP (Vagina Is Pretty) area. Only gentlemen of taste are allowed to move in. Take it or leave it MOTHAFUCKA!!! Go back to China if you're too much of a FAG (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*.✧

Moderators: CutieHoney, MeisaKuroki

Iwazaru
qishmish

Anime Recommendations & Discussions [Re-Thread]

Post by Iwazaru »

Sorry for bothering you, but..can u recommend me some anime? i have watched: Shoujo Tsubaki, Perfect Blue, Paprika, Millenium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers, Ninja Scroll, Golgo 13: Professional, Steamboy ("movies"); Haibane Renmei, JoJo's Bizarre Adventures, Highschool of zombies, Paranoia Agent, Ergo Proxy, Eden of the East, Trigun, Code Geass and - shoot me - Hellsing and Bleach ("tv series"). I'm looking for ...well, the less it has "hey i'm generic anime for animefags" the more it's good. BTW Code Geass was freaky depressing for me coz all three sides of conflict had the same ideals but they still fought each other. I look for smth like Eden of the East - first u think "oh shit its for girls" but then "hey actually it's pretty interesting". OR maybe there is smth Kill-the-Past'ish in world of anime, huh?
Yeah I was just about to suggest Black Lagoon too. The Persona 4 anime is not bad. Gungrave and Speed Grapher are among my favourites. Oh yeah, and stop whatever the fuck you were doing and go watch Cromartie High School RIGHT THE FUCK NOW.
Since you mentioned Cromartie... If you wanna laugh, check out DETROIT METAL CITY
Faggots, none of you mentioned LUPIN THE THIRD.Angel Heart is good and I'm addicted to Maison Ikkoku although that's a dreaded rom com. Good writing though. I also like NaNa & Beck Mongolian Chop Squad. I'm more into the comedy/ slice of life dramas for some reason. Prolly coz they actually need well written & relatable characters in order to keep the series interesting. A pretty good action manga is Tokyo Tribe 2. (It's The Warriors with Shibuya gangstas instead of NYC cyberpunk rejects.) DMC & Cromartie are also fuck awesome, Freddie Mercury didn't die, he just became a random highschool student in Japan, LOL!
I was about to mention Lupin the IIIrd but I assumed he was going for modern anime for some reason. If we're going into classics then go for that, and captain harlock too if it was ever released in english, LOL.
gto Great Teacher Onizuka, the prequel GTO series when Onizuka is still a gangsta is also pretty good.
GTO & Shonan Junai Gumi manga are much better than the anime versions though
Just because Lupin is old doesn't mean it can't be modern. It's still an ongoing series. www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8cj_IBbmL4
This shit is from last year and I can' believe that I never heard of it until two weeks ago.
Mushishi
The story features creatures called Mushi that display supernatural powers. Mushi are described as beings in touch with the essence of life.

http://cdn.myanimelist.net/images/anime/4/5123.jpg

Gurren lagann
This one did a twist on the whole Gattai genre (old mecha shows). Recommended for the explosive scale that involves these EPIC battles

Steins;gate
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ihtD5kZa1LQ/T ... STGPOS.jpg
www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Bf0aYBk0OQ

Mirai Nikki
This one is insane, it has crazy characters and ridicilous scenarios. If you are fan of high energy drama like Death Note, You owe it to yourself to check this one out. Ok enough with the recommendations, I hope you are happy with my choices

www.youtube.com/watch?v=okapFtXWcqI
The awesome opening of Mirai Nikki
Forgot Akira dude. And the two Vampire Hunter movies are pretty crazy.

Jin-Roh is pretty awesome. And Ghost In The Shell (both) as well as Cowboy Bebop are great too. Oh and there was a film based on the Ghost In The Shell show called Solid State Society.

Don't buy the other GITS films based on the show. Those are just the first and second seasons recut and crunched together into a feature length movie type format. You're better off just watching the 2 seasons of the show.
I used to love GITS until I tried rewatching the series & realized that they mostly speak nothing but psychobabble. A lot of the Japo geopolitics is on point though. There's a new GITS series coming out. Can't wait for that. The music is hype.

One of my fave series that hasn't been mentioned yet is 12 Kingdoms. It has a setting that's similar to Fushigi Yugi except it's an animu that centrally focuses on geopolitcal warfare instead of Shojo bullshit like Yugi.

What really cracks me up is how I recently got back into Anime last month through Blue Dragon, the video game & the animu. I highly doubt that I'll ever finish either the game or tv series but I did enjoy Blue Dragon enough to get me watching animu again. I really miss the animu writing style. It's shocking how deep the characterization usually is for most animu considering how everybody usually makes fun of animu for bad writing.

(But then go on to brag about Fallout 3's "masterpiece" plot. As if FO3 actually had a plot, or even relatable characters, LOL! The best character was Dogmeat as usual coz he's a dog who doesn't shit, piss or sleep, he just bites & eats all hostiles.)
Attack on titan is BAD ASS
If you're also into trashy shit, I suggest watching Sword Art Online, it's so bad it's hilarious. I watched the whole series with a girl I'm dating and we laughed all the way through. But I understeand that most people actually find watching shit irritating rather than funny, for example I think it would just bore someone like David, while me, I can't get enough of this shit. I'm having a similar experience with the devil survivor 2 animu because it has HEAVY yaoi undertones. Everyone is gay and the women are completely overlooked, LOL. It's hilarious to me because the original game felt like some retarded ecchi animu (they have to summon a demon by showing him the little girl's belly button, NOT MAKING THIS UP), while the anime is still based on mainstream anime, but completely different ones, namely the ones made for yaoi fangirls that want to ship characters and what not. Although I guess watching this shit alone is just sad. I have fun with it because I always watch these things with my brother or my girlfriend
LOL, you're not alone in this.
I used to watch Kamikatze Kaitou Jeanne and Rose of Versailles with my little sis.LOL!!! xD
(Rose of Versailles is REALLY FUCKING GOOD FYI)
Rose of Versailles is awesome. Anime from that era used to be really good. In Italy we also got a lot of the Time Bokan anime, which I don't think were released much outside of japan and a few european country, good times.
I'm getting back into manga/anime as well, mostly because I'm following Attack on Titan and Jojolion as the scanlations come out and I'm waiting for the new GITS animu. Stand Alone Complex is also getting re-released in blu ray which is awesome. GITS 1&2 were also re-released on blu over here, along with the edited version of GITS1 with CGI, which I still haven't seen but I'm really not interested into. I watched a few scenes and the CGI looked really out of place.
Did anyone watch one of the most recent Lupin IIIrd movies, Green vs. Red? That's what got me back into lupin a few years ago, that movie was awesome, LOL.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nPc2DBe9tk
17th century german artisocrats in space. Space opera at its best

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CeAZyUs5ww
I also recommend this one. The count of monte criso in anime version, but with some sci fi details in the background.
That Devil Survivor 2 sounds hilarious.
It is hilarious, both the game and the anime, for very different reasons. The animu actually has a more compelling plot if you overlook all the blatant yaoi fanservice. The game actually has kickass gameplay though, the alien battles in particular are awesome. So your prize for getting through all the hardcore fights is to see all those really stupid scenes where everybody is tense for summoning the Trumpeteer because they don't know if he'll agree to help mankind, and then a tsundere girl starts throwing laptops at him and insulting him, and he agrees because he's afraid of her (AGAIN NOT MAKING THIS UP). BTW I don't use netflix so I have no idea.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoCoW5wvFek
I dont what you guys think of sports anime, but this one is one of my favorites, you dont even have to like boxing to love this anime, it's so epic (+ new series is also recommended). How could I forget about Berserk, that used to be one of my favorite anime of all time (yeah the anime ends abruptly, but the journey is still awesome)
The Berserk manga is awesome through the whole flashback arc. After that it's pointless, I don't even know what is going on in the story any more. If it ever ends I'll probably catch up eventually.
The one you're thinking of is probably Tiger Mask.

That one was awesome, one of my favourite as a kid. It was so fucking violent, LOL. Back when anime wasn't so gay. Now that I think about it, Attack on Titan looks and feels nothing like current manga/anime. Even the artstyle in the manga feels like something straight from the 80s, like violence jack. (The anime is more generic, but it's not bad)
It's the first time in my life I get hooked on a current release, LOL. Jojo doesen't count since it's been around since 1986.

For some reason I never associated boxing/wrestling anime with other sports anime until now. I never gave a fuck about sports anime but I used to watch yabuki joe, tiger mask and things like that all the time.
another epic sports anime from the captain tsubasa creator!!!
The 20th century boys movies are awesome. I like them much better than the original manga. They are live action but they do feel like animu movies.
It's from the creator of Monster right
Yeah, but I don't like the manga very much. It drags, they kill the main villain halfway through just to replace him with one that isn't interesting at all, it has a shit ton of sideplots that were introduced as important but didn't go anywhere, etc. You can see that the movies were made with the whole story already in mind because they feel much more organic and the villain is more interesting. Also, since the protagonist is a guitar player, it's nice to actually hear him play. Not a masterpiece in cinema history but they are pretty fun.
Ranma was probably one of the funniest animes I ever saw, so many comedic brilliant moments in that xD
Maison Ikkoku was great too. I have so many fond memories of that show, I watched it all the time as a kid.
It's a slice of life, it's from the author of Ranma 1/2 and inuyasha. Nothing amazing in terms of plot but watching it every day on tv was very relaxing. I miss those times when they actually aired this shit on tv. Right now they don't air anime at all, and when they do it's something really mainstream which means EMO, LOL. Evangelion really did change anime for the worse.
I agree with your opinion, although 3 years later we got one of the best written stories of all time with this one
www.youtube.com/watch?v=llgFc3OUmhE
What's funny is that I actually ended up watching evangelion again and everything about that show is pretty cool except for the fucking awful, emo, unbearable three main characters. The adults are much more interesting characters that have actual goals in life, the main kids are just fucking annoying, I guess they are well written since kids in real life are just as annoying, but you just wish someone would just slap them and tell them to stop whining. Every scene with the adults is really well written, the relationship between Kaji, Ritsuko and Misato is really mature, Fuyutsuki working with Gendo because of his loyalty to his wife, whom he was probably in love with but he never actually whines about it, LOL. The fights with the aliens are awesome and really fun, and I love the mecha design, but god damn why does the whiny fucking kid have to be the protagonist? You have to stomach hours of him sitting around and whining just to get to the good parts.

Yeah Cowboy Bebop is really good. So is samurai champloo from the same director, if you never watched it I suggest you give it a try, I remember it being pretty fun. (Much more light-hearted than Bebop.)
Trigun is ok but the manga is fucking amazing.
Loved samurai champloo and it let me discover the greatness of nujabes. But I do think Jin and Mugen arent that memorable compared to Spike, Jet and Faye. But thats normal, because I have seen a lot of animes since Cowboy bebop, and very few can compare to Bebop, see you space cowboy.

I don't know if this has been mentionned over here, but I also recommend Full metal alchemist brotherhood. It's a perfect adaptation from the original manga, although the storyline goes 100 miles a hour compared to the original series. You will still feel resonance for the closure for some of the important characters (Hughes). But you have to endure some annoying funny moments during serious parts, thats the only flaw in brotherhood.
Speed grapher was exactly what I wanted (except maybe last fight that made no sense a bit), thanks. Still need to check all other things from this thread
Hell yes. I fucking love Highschool of the Dead. Big fucking Titttties and big fucking guns. Too bad it's modelled after George Romero styled Zombie philosphy. You know that stupid shit where you're supposed to learn morals about human nature coz zombies invaded? Yeah, that's the type of show that it is.... but BIGG FUCKING GUNS, GIB FUCKING BOOOOBBIES!!!
Attack on Titan sounded cool until I heard the characters turn into Titans or some shit. Is it less retarded than it sounds?
Violence hero riki-oh of course, hokuto no ken, kinnikuman.
wow.. we're sky high.. that shark we just jumped over is tiny.. we're so high right now (c)
Cat
Bombhead Smile

Re: Anime Recommendations & Discussions [Re-Thread]

Post by Cat »

The anime adaptation of Gantz is shockingly good.
"Don't be crazy.
I would never go near such a poisonous flower.
She is carnivorous. She disgusts me"