You should've killed yourself when you had the chance, BITCH!!

Moderators: RecycleBitn, AdolfHitler

Jack
Thy ILLnifique

Fighting Games

Post by Jack »

We'll never be as big as the site used to be so there's no more need to seperate 2d fighitng & 3d fighting, especially since back in the day, we used to set up matches & times we were online to see who was king of the fighters. Suprisingly it wasn't me. It was a random fucking Marine from japan, ayy lmao!

Fighting games could've easily been as expansive as the FPS (First Person Shooter) genre and we did see the beginning signs of that with the likes of Bushido Blade, Shenmue 1 & 2, Tobal 2, Ergheiz God Bless the Ring,Shao Lin, Smash Bros (default ruleset from Nintendo.), Urban Reign, etc.
(Strangely most of these fighters are Square Enix games.)
We could've easily had fighting games that were the fighting game equivalent of Deus Ex, Half-life or System Shock, games which are treated as full blown interactive experiences rather than just as quarter munchers which is what the fucking genre still is, with even Mortal Kombat following suit because fighting gamers refuse to move on from the fucking early 90s, AYYY LMAO!

I'm more of a competitive shooter these days, but I still have enough experinece within this genre to talk about it.I honestly can't get hype over any non-Smash fighter these days though. Samurai Shodown is the best looking fighter I've seen in years but i have no intention of buying it since it's just the same ol early 90s bullshit that fight game fans refuse to grow out of.

Dead or Alive 3-6 have shown a way that fighters can modernize through it's huge arenas & combat animations & counter systems which resemble a live-action kung fu flick , but the actual fight game audience doesn't care about it coz they're primarily stuck in their ancient cave man ways, still playing Street Fighter 2 nearly 3 decades after it released. Move the fuck on, DAAMMMN!
The irony is that most of the FGC actually do want to see those types of systems implemented in a fighting game, but they'll only ever accept it, if it's implemented it in a Street Fighter game.

Most people look at Donkey Kong (Arcade) players weird, coz they're not playing the more advanced Donkey Kong Country. In Fighting games, they look at you weird if you'd rather play a fully interactive 3d fighter like Bloody Roar, simply coz it's not 'tourney-worthy'. I'm like who gives a fuck? 'Tourney-worthy' is just a euphenism for "It's not like Street Fighter 2, REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!"

Tekken is like the only 3d fighter that got away from the StreetFighter influence mainly due to the Korean audience who played Tekken so much, that they actually proved it's a far deeper mechanically-sound fighter than Street Fighter ever was. I actually prefer Street Fighter though, precisely coz it's easier to understand. At the same time, I'm sick & tired of every fighting playing like Street Fighter. Galaga eventually turned into Doom 2016 or Doom Eternal, where our mothafucking Doom Eternal in the world of Fighting games? In Fighting games, we're still fucking playing Galaga coz they refuse to move on.

Even Smash Bro's self imposed competitive ruleset is just badly imitating Street Fighter 2's Chun Li coz apparently ,Chun Li & Blanka are prolly the only two characters that Smash players know how to use, :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway I'll start it off with Smash and why Competitive Smash Bros is retarded. I love Smash, Ultimate is a 10 out of 10 game, but I hate the community.

These two comments says all that needs to be said.
She almost ruined the lifes of the players who picked her"
This makes for a neat summary but i hate it cause it deflects responsibility of smash's infamously toxic competitive community.
silentcalling
2 days ago
Again I say: games that weren't designed to be played competitively, shouldn't be played competitively. Want a competitive fighting game? Tekken, Street Fighter, Soul Calibur, DoA.

Smash has been, is, and will always be, a party fighting game. Not a competitive. Otherwise what is the point of having items, moving maps, and final smashes? They aren't tournament legal, and they're core functions to the game.
MaX Triumph
MaX Triumph
1 second ago
@silentcalling Items & moving maps are core to arena tdm games like Quake, or even Overwatch, which is why it amazes me that the Smash autists try to force Smash as a 1vs1 fighting game when it's clearly meant to be played within the same domain as Unreal or Quake styled TDM game. Smash's fanbase are nuts with how they just make up their own ruleset and then wonder why it's not balanced around the rules that they made up, LOL!
That right there is the same basic thought that all of us Fight game fans have had in regards to Smash bros. I'm a former fight game fan, I think I've fully transitioned over to FPS, mainly coz it's easier on my controller. When you play fight games for real, you run the real risk of breaking your controller just due to how much stress you put it through.

Meanwhile in a FPS, you're mostly honing in on your situational awareness & aim but the only button you're pressing for the most part are your shoulder triggers.
All of those complex input notations from fighting games is what kills your controller coz your putting so much pressure on multiple buttons at a time, as well as the dpad or analog.
I had to drop Terry in Smash coz his desperation move notations were breaking my faceoff controller.
I replaced him with Byleth who does just as much damage as he does but with much less effort, and far fewer button presses.

Cue-in the Smash Bros Tourneyfag defense league.
Renan Segalla
1 day ago
@silentcalling smash has been competitive for more than a decade, It is competitive by design and a history of balance issues does not chance that.

Sure, It has s Lot of casual content with fun itens and lots of rng, but none of that extra content is a "core mechanic".

MaX Triumph
7 seconds ago
@Renan Segalla Sure Smash could be competitive, but do what every other fighting game in the world does & use the actual default ruleset. Smash is the only competitive fighter where the fans make up the rules when it's clear that Smash isn't balanced around 1vs1 fighting. Smash is built more like an arena battle tdm, & competitive should revolve around that.

Glitvhy -
Glitvhy -
12 hours ago
I'm not really into smash like that but seems it feels like everyone has a piece of the blame at this point players, devs, tourney orgs, and the community as a whole.
MaX Triumph
1 second ago
@Glitvhy - How is it Sakurai's fault? He doesn't even like competitive Smash & doesn't understand why you doofs try to force it as a Fox only 1vs1 game, lol.
They are core functions of the game, as evidenced by how fucking boring Smash is when you get rid of the Unreal Tournament styled game design, with a forced fanmade ruleset that poorly imitates real fighting games.

I've listed many times why I don't like competitive Smash, the TLDR: Competitive Smash plays like a gimped, hadicapped Chun-Li. I specify Chun Li coz the ruleset that Smash Fags use, forces you into a meta that resembles Chun-Li's footsies based fighting style. Footsy in layman's terms is anti-air. Competitive Smash revolves around poking & anti air which is where the "Fox Only" meme stems from.
https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/no-items ... estination
Fox has fast pokes, fast projectiles & fast anti air. He's not as overpowered in Ultimate but the same basic ruleset applies. Just switch Fox with Joker or Lucina, who imo has even faster pokes & an even more unstaoppable anti-air game.

This here lies the problem with the competitive smash ruleset. It's not that competitive. You're stripping the core of the game to focus on a shallow interpretation of fighting when fighting games generally have multiple Meta combating for the top of the mountain. There is no one dominant Most Effective Tactics Available in fighting games. You merely have the most effective tactics according to your playstyle. The Smash Tourney competitive scene gimps the gameplay so much with their forced ruleset that you're forced to play as a Chun Li type of character, who doesn't even have acess to her basic chain combos & cross ups.

If you're from an actual fighting game background, this is boring because it devoles Smash into a game of I hit you, you hit me. Fighting games are meant to be a battle of the minds, but what mind games are there when we're all fishing for the same openings & counters? It becomes a game of who has the better reflexes, as such it's generally only old school Smash fags who have been playing since the original N64 Smash who make it to the top of the mountain coz strategy doesn't matter as much as reflexes do.

This is the exact opposite of the traditional fighting game philosophy where tactics matter far more than skill does. This is why OG Sagat is normally king in Super SF2T, because his entire moveset is such where he can do optimal damage from the exact opposite side of the screen and he has all of the basic tools he needs to keep his opponent away from him because even his long 7 ft tall limbs can be used as an Anti-Air (Footsies) of sorts with his own literal feet. He's that tall that he kicks high enough to knock you out of the air.

It's not a matter of skill, it's a matter of application. Zangief or Balrog could just as easily dash past Sagat's fireballs and one hit kill with a super spinning pile driver or a super buffalo rush, but in order to do so takes great planning & reading, which is a skill, but it's not a skill that reflects your reflexes. It's a skill that rewards your ability to think ahead. That's my biggest problem with Tourney smash. There's not enough depth to reward multi-layered mind games. Smash Competitive is functions fairly similarly to Starcraft competitive in the sense that top tier plays are memorized & internalized through repeat muscle memory & continous training of a repetitive sequence of events.

That's not at all what fighting games are supposed to be. Fighting games actually mimic MMA more than anything even though Fighting games have existed way before Professional MMA. Ever notice how fighting games don't really have a top all time great? Sure there's contenders to the throne such as Daigo or Wong, but like MMA, there's not undisputed champ coz one wrong read can make you instantly lose the entire match.

Smash isn't anything like that at all, because you usually don't instantly die after three hits. As was what I stated with my Lucina criticism.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8
Smash Bros tourney scene is a joke anyway coz you cats just make a up a bunch of stupid rules that we all have to abide by.
The funny part is that the rules that the Smash tourney scene come up with, are like a parody of actual fighting games, except you strip all of the fun parts from the game out of it.

Making is so that we're forced to play some boring ass poking, footsies game which bores the hell out of me coz Smash was never meant to be played like a traditional 1vs1 fighter and it shows by virtue of how limited the movesets are when compared to traditional fighters.'

Too bad Smash Tourneys actually make more money than proper Fighting game tourneys do. It's weird coz it's based around a rule set that Nintendo didn't make. I can't think of a single fighting game that does that.

If Smash scrubs were alive during the days of Street Fighter 2, Smash-scrubs would've outlawwed throwing, outlaw corners, and banned Guile.
It's the completely opposite of the fighting game philosophy. The FGC philosophy is usually, if it's in the game, you're allowed to use it.
In Smash Tourney, you have to follow all of these stupid protocols that it's amazing to me that millions of people actually go along with it.

It's like playing 4-square, but you added in a bunch of rules to make it play more like Football, which is impossible and that's exactly the case with Smash. The tourney scene tries so hard to mimic a traditional fighter but it just feels like I'm playing a shell of a game with all of the fun crap stripped out of it.
They also tend to pretend they dont care about tiers while claiming they main some mid tier or lower.
Lucina is one of my mains, which I've heard is considered top tier in the West. i don't care what tier she is. I'm good with her because to me, she plays the most like a proper fighting game character. She has footsies that instantly connect on command and I can hit with her up special 9 times out of 10.

That's the problem though. I shouldn't have to out play an opponent, more than 3 times just to get a win.
This is a problem inherent with SMash's goofy ass tourney ruleset.
In a real fighting game, you die if you get hit by the shoryuken more than 3 times, and you die if you get hit by the spinning pile driver at least twice.

In Smash Bros, I have to hit with her up special about 50 times before it finally lands a kill so in most cases you have to switch over to a forward or up smash to finish them off when in a normal fighter, I would'v already won coz I made the stupid chump jumped into my range more than 3x in a row, lol.

That's just me ranting. I love playing Casual Smash Bros, which feels like a FPS Deathmatch style game, even down to the random items, but then I'm confused as hell with how the actual tourney scene, ignores the obvious FPS-deathmatch similarities that Smash has, in favor of some stupid ruleset that pretends to be a 1vs1 fighting game, when it plays nothing like an actual fighting game. Real fighitng games don't give you as many chances to screw up as competitive Smash does.
_____
Anyway fuck all that. I think Fighting games as a genre died, precisely coz it places far too much focus on the tourney scene. Tourney fags by their very nature are going to want the same exact game relesed over & over again so that they can retain the edge they have, over their opponents which increase their chances of a larger prize money pool.
Inoki Stomps Fools!
ImageImage
Va11 Hall-a Faggot: He's such a Chad. I bet he fucks an Asian bitch every night.
CapN Jack: Who the fuk These moFuggaz? :lol:
CENSORED
BANNED

Re: Fighting Games

Post by CENSORED »

I can give you the perspective of someone who occasionally played fighting games as a casual player.
I think you're right when you say that they focus too much on the tourney scene, what I experience first hand as a casual is that the new pricing systems make no fucking sense to me.
I see there's a whole bunch of monetization systems for FGs where you have to buy characters through different "seasons" (what the fuck?) and you end up spending hundreds of euros for the same roster of characters that just came included with the game when you bought the disc back in the day.
As someone who is not a rocket scientist. I simply cannot figure out what the fuck I need to buy, and I fail to see why I should buy any of these games since their previous iterations are actually more complete lol.
I don't believe it's just me. I definetly notice how everyone around me exclusively plays smash bros now, while back in the day we would all hang out and play tekken, soul calibur or street fighter or whatever. None of my friends who was into those series owns any of the new game, because the average human being still just stumbles onto stuff in stores or orders a specific thing from a digital one. They have no fucking clue about these new monetization systems and neither do I. I am left scratching my head whenever I see one of their store pages.
So how the fuck is this a competitive business model? Sure, those fanboys who will spend upwards on 300$ on a single game will, but the casual market is completely ostracised and left behind
Krizzx
Giant Smile

Post by Krizzx »

Dayum!!! Daigo left Tokido legitimately crying. Woah...

HOUSELANDER
Spiral Smile

Post by HOUSELANDER »

?
Last edited by HOUSELANDER on Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Iwazaru
qishmish

Post by Iwazaru »

I literally was playing SamSho 5S with friend yesterday. I like how intense it gets when you are close to death and often try to take extreme measures, and you can fail while doing them and overexpose yourself, lol.
wow.. we're sky high.. that shark we just jumped over is tiny.. we're so high right now (c)
Jack
Thy ILLnifique

Post by Jack »

Low Tier God just got a tranny banned after that tranny got him banned from the FGC, lol!
https://archive.is/eAHwN
https://archive.is/5EIVJ
LTG was banned for telling the tranny to cut his dick off. Which is weird, coz shouldn't that be common-sense? You're not a woman just coz you wear girl's clothes.
LTG retaliated by pointing out that the Tranny uses the word "Nigga". Which is hilarious coz everyone in the FGC uses that word. A lot of people seem to forget just how urban the FGC actually is, or was.
I can't stand it anymore coz of these Tranny cucks, stinking up the joint with their emotional-garbage.

It's like what I said earlier in the suggestions thread, I pointed out that LTG was what the FGC used to be before it became gay & nerdy. When I was growing up within the arcade scene of the 90s, you saw LTG types all the time. Constantly talking shit, then starting real life fights over dumbass arcade gaming shit. It was fucking fun mang, coz it involved real stakes. Back in those days, it was for motherfucking lunch money, and their bitches, lol. Unlike today, where FGC is about nerd-cred.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7

A lot of people give LTG shit. I really don't think he's that bad.
I love his honesty. Fuck the internet, for turning the English-Internet into a bunch of prudes who want to show off that they're the kindest, nicest souls in the world. When in reality, those who claim to be the friendliest souls, are usually the exact opposite.

What the fuck is he supposed to do? Admit that he's an asshole and then commit to being a 'better' person? Fuck that noise. What's so great about being a nice-guy chump who merely gets along with everybody? Getting along just means that you're non-confrontational and have no ambition to move up beyond your station.

I didn't want to link to the Kiwi-thread (coz I disagree with most of the posts they wrote about LTG.) but every other source I had keeps getting deleted by motherfucking trannies. What the fuck is up with Trannies, and their stranglehold on the Internet? It's so fucking random.
https://kiwifarms.net/threads/low-tier- ... 6/page-144

LTG really won my respect when I see him diss E-thots.
I'm like who gives a fuck that she gets like 200k views just for one pic of her flabby ass?
You're getting views from a bunch of desperate, actual virgin-nerds.
"Oh no, incel!" Fuck that shit, even LTG gets called an Incel, I'm like what the fuck does that word even mean anymore? He's obviously not a virgin, lol.
Seriously fuck that shit. I knew some girls who treat me like a god in real life, but then act like they don't me while we're online coz I'm some obscure nobody who got instantly banned from twitter, while that chick was famous on internet just coz of her pics, lol. Yet in real life, she's meek as shit.
(She's some Korean girl. Just mentioning that, in case anyone thought I was talking about the Ex who became a camwhore. The camwhore was always cool with me up until I ditched her.)

What's amusing to me though, is that I'm seeing a lot White guys, saying racist shit about LTG, in defense of some Gook-tranny, LOL!
What the fuck is it with White people, and being a faggot? It's so weird. They're like the only race who acts like that. You try to ask them about it, they always blame the Jews, which is even more hilarious.
I understand the argument, they're saying that Jews own the entire Western-media, but it just looks like they're placing the blame on someone else rather than fixing themselves.
i can' watch video Balrog gameplay that Jack post it was deleted i believe its from old youtube account,i wanna see how he played Balrog,all i know jack lost to one of the poster who used Ken.
Ask Isuka, I whooped his ass plenty of times as Balrog, in SF4 and I think SF2. I recall that I completely dominated him in one of the 2d SF games as Zangief so it was prob the SSF2 Turbo remake.
I'm dominant as fuck in SF2.
For some reason I fucking suck ass at SF5 but I don't give a shit coz it's SFV.

In the video I uploaded I was pulling off Balrog combos as fast as Daigo. I'm no Daigo though. Daigo is like some Jeet Kune Do master, he's formless like water.
I'm more like Ryu, I just master in doing 1 or 2 things really well, but I make the gameplan work with over 90% success.
In my case, that's Zoning & Footsies. I'm actually pretty good at Smash Bros, as Palutena precisely due to her erratic footsie game. I call it erractic, coz it's hard to tell how far her footsies range goes if you're playing against her. I play against so many people who make the mistake of jumping over or at Palutena when she has like 4 different anti-air moves that she can instantly connect at a given notice.

Once you get her footsies down, you can control the entire side of the stage that you occupy, forcing the other players to fight each other, as they mostly leave you alone.

I think you're right when you say that they focus too much on the tourney scene, what I experience first hand as a casual is that the new pricing systems make no fucking sense to me.
That's not the Tourney scene. The FGC fucking hates that shit. I think that's actually the casual scene. Casuals will pay extra for that shit just to feel as though they belong with the FGC. What's hilarious is that the FGC is fucking garbage anyway.
It was cool, back when it was Ghetto as hell, but now in days it's just some wannabe-corporate dicksucking bullshit that's controlled by old 30s-50s losers who won't move the fuck on from Street Fighter 2.

I think Nintendo's Arms (which is literal-boxing.) would actually have a good chance of reviving the entire genre if the FGC weren't a bunch of nostalgia-fags.
I can actually play fairly well at Arms just from using my fighting game fundamentals. The same isn't true for Smash Bros. With Smash Bros, you need to completely readjust your mindset because you won't win at all if you try to treat it like a normal fighting game.
I started winning more at Smash after I came into it with the mindset that I'm a goalie who's also trying to kick the goalies, into their own goals, LOL!
Normal fighting games as in SF2 style, is boxing. You look for angles and you try to connect. I'm guessing Mortal Kombat is just random haymakers since that game is all about spamming moves & combos. Real fighting games revolve around gameplans.

Smash is way different coz you just try to hit them with whatever to weaken them, and then you kick them out of the fucking stage. That's why Smash Bros feels like some kind of crazy Goalie-Wrestling hybrid.
Inoki Stomps Fools!
ImageImage
Va11 Hall-a Faggot: He's such a Chad. I bet he fucks an Asian bitch every night.
HOUSELANDER
Spiral Smile

Post by HOUSELANDER »

?
Last edited by HOUSELANDER on Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Isuka
Duplicator Smile

Post by Isuka »

Balrog was SFIV I think and Gief was SF2 HD Remake.

If people are interested in some SFV Balrog, Smug has tons of videos using him.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEyjKm ... 2Mb5SqvJvQ
Jack
Thy ILLnifique

Post by Jack »

I actually don't agree with my opening post at all anymore, since I'm far more skilled in Smash Bros now.
It's completely different from a normal fighting game, but that's actually what leads to Smash being far more in depth then a normal fighting game.

The movement is very abstract. Sorta like King of Fighters, you're generally hopping from place to place instead of walking. Most characters do a multi-hit combo during the hop, which gives you more defense than you would from a standing idle position. From the hop, you can go for a meteor hit, the multi hit, or whichever directional smash attack you wish to input, while still remaining safe from the hop.

Smash actually has a similar High, middle, low meta that Tekken has except Smash's high, middle, low refers to the stage, rather than the character. High, the character is above you, Mid, they're on the same plane as you, and so on.
HOUSELANDER wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:40 am those arcade scene you mention only happen in America or happen in japan too?

probably that dude who punched Daigo is not living around that Area.
I never saw that happen in Japan, but I'm not shocked at all if it happened to Daigo, lol! Japan is not a violent place outside of the Yakuza. (Who leave you alone if you have nothing to do with them.)
So instances such as that, aren't very common.
Balrog was SFIV I think and Gief was SF2 HD Remake.
I'm sure I was dominating with SS2 Balrog too, but then you finally got some win streaks by just running forward & jabbing which canceled out Balrog's fierce, lol!
How's SF V now? If I still had a PS4, I'd rebuy it, yet again just coz my bitch Akira is back.

I thought I was losing my touch with fighters, but it turns out that my PS4 controller had a really stiff d-pad, which is why I wasn't able to activate Gief's specials as efficiently as I used to. I can still pull it off on command. It just depends on the controller.

She reminds me of my first year in Japan. I dropped out of highschool, but I still felt like I was going to school coz I spent most of that school year playing both discs of Rival Schools lol. The 2nd disc had a lot of fun sports mini games, and a hot nurse massage game.
I always picked Purple Haired Akira, coz her gang was the most similar to how I am in real life. I don't participate in sports much, didn't give much of a shit about academics. I was just a fucking thug who only cared about having fun, so I related to Akira's crew the most.
The only crew with a girl as hot, or hotter than her was the Teacher crew with the nurse Kyoko.

Fantasy Strike is free to play now, and that game is actually even fucking worse than SFV. It made me realize that SFV isn't so bad, if only due to how Fantasy Stike is much worse. Fantasy Strike is a 50/50 guessing game, and it makes it so fucking boring to play. I had similar issues with SFV, but the 50/50 gameplay isn't as forced as it is in Fantasy Strike. I dominate fools in FS though, as the Rock Grappler guy who controls exactly like Zangief.

Setsuka is back, but I don't really like her new look. She actually used to look like a White Japanese hybrid.

She looked very Latina or French. Now she just looks like a White chick with a Japanese name, lol.
At least Zafina still looks good. Phantom from Rogue Company looks like Zafina, lol.

I really should've bought Samurai Shodown back when it was $40 retail. Now you con only get the Switch physical for $80.
Inoki Stomps Fools!
ImageImage
Jack
Thy ILLnifique

Post by Jack »

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8&start=200
A continuation of the Smash Bros talk at the Nintenlard thread. I recognize this guy from the AOC board. What he says is pretty much what Krizz & I were saying though.
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/23 ... e/79161973
FFnut 15 hours ago#4
Smash in general: Because they aren't good enough to play any real fighting games so they settled on a party game that they keep trying to pretend is a totally legit fighting game as long as you customize every rule into oblivion and declare 75% of the game to be "illegal" on top of that. Of course, Ultimate actually took steps to mitigate a lot of these to actually make the game tournament friendly, but that's irrelevant because...

Melee in particular:
Because they spent all of their time practicing to take advantage of specific glitches and game mechanics and are unable to adapt to even the most rudimentary balance patching concepts twenty years later. These are the same kind of people who refuse to update games to v1.0.1 because v1.0.0 had some game-breaking glitch and they are literally unable to adapt to a version of the game with that glitch fixed. They'll come up with as many excuses as possible to never have to update their skillset - they're comfortable with doing the same thing for twenty years straight, and f*** you for suggesting that change could be good. Which is the same reason so many of them try to have sex with children - much like their Smash skills, their libidos haven't been updated to something more current.
AYY LMAO! His Smash in general write up is my exact criticism of Pro Smash. I think Smash could definitely be competitive though, were it played like FPS death match. it's absurd to me that everyone tries to play Smash like a 1V1 fighter by forcing a ban on over half of the game. It's the only competitive scene that I've seen that does this. The problem is that the movesets aren't made towards 1v1 fighting as I've stated with characters like Byleth, who can wreck shit up in crowds but can't hit shit in pro-level 1v1.

It'd be like trying to turn Counterstrike into a fighting game and have it revolve around its melee. Sure you can do that, but it's fucking boring just like Pro Smash.

My explanation of the combo system from Street Fighter.
Iwazaru wrote: ↑Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:21 am
You're forgetting that even "combo" was originally glitch/exploit in SF...

Fightings (especially Tekken) are based on such tendencies in competitive scene.
This is also what keeps Devil May Cry's scorechasing community afloat (all those -cancel techniques, skip animation to chain one move into another etc.).
Combos started off as a glitch but it was obvious by the time they made Champ edition, that the combos became an intentional part of the game. The reason why combos worked as well as they did was due to how the glitch was just the end result of the hitstun that Crapcom programmed in between each hit to prevent you from constantly attacking. This is the reason why Japanese melee games tend to have a smoother battle flow, they program hitstun or delay times between each action. Some move animations have less reaction times or frame animations, which create the combo.

In Western games like Killer Instinct or Mortal Kombat, they don't program a hit stun. The combo is actually part of a long sequence of button presses, otherwise known as dial a combos.
Dial a combo exists in Tekken, Soul Calibur, DOA, Ninja Gaiden etc. but what makes those games different is that the dial a combos themselves also have a hitstun delay, and for the most part the actual combos won't reliably hit the opponent if they can counter or block in time, between each frame delay.

This isn't so for Killer Instinct or Mortal Kombat where you're a sitting duck once a dial a combo has been inputted. This is why KI has combo breakers, which break out of the combo. It turns the battle into a rock paper scissors game though, and unlike Dead or Alive, you can't constantly reverse the reversals.
Tekken gets around this through the frame delay, which is why most proficient players go for juggles, because there is no guard or counter against juggles once you've been launched.

I fucking hate juggle combos but the KI & Mortal Kombat alternative is even worse, because their solutions breaks the pacing of the combat. (I honestly don't know what counters MK has against long combos, lol.)
Me personally, for better aesthetics I'd turn that juggle into a Dizzy, with dizzies being initiated with stun equivalent launcher opening attacks. Similar to how the Yakuza games do it. You don't see juggles in Yakuza. They just get dizzy, leaving them open for a juggle length combo.
The reason why we move on to the most recent game.
What Krizz said about SF Alpha is exactly the same argument that most of us FGC cats always have whenever we talk shit about Smash. In SF, damn near nobody likes SFV, but they still play it coz it's the most recent game. You can't keep living in the past. Do people honestly want to watch a Super Turbo tournament when we already know who's going to win? (daigo)
After a certain point, there's just no reason to keep hosting tournaments of old games any more, because the people who've been playing since day 1 of a 2 decade old game, are always going to have a huge advantage over everyone else just due to their veteran status

That's the reason why most people move on to the most recent game. It helps even the playing field coz we all start back at ground zero, re learning the game's new rulesets.
I'm really good at SF4, but I actually fucking hate that game. I only play it, coz I can actually consistently win, even against pro level tourney players. I can't win against any body in SFV coz it plays so different from typical Street Fighter. SFV locks out all of your tactical opportunities through the V-trigger system. So the end result is a game that revolves more around quick reflexes rather than long term tactical planning. SFV is basically a less shitty version of Fantasy Strike, AYY LMAO!
I've played competitive Smash, it's fucking boring. It doesn't resemble a fighting game at all. There's a reason why No items, Fox only, Final Destination is such a meme.
https://www.ssbwiki.com/No_items,_Fox_o ... estination
I got my ass murked in college back when they were playing Melee. It didn't really look like skill to me. It was clearly just exploits. It's more of a case of, if you're not cheating, you're not trying and that's the worst situation for a competitive game to be in. You're not grading who's the most skilled. You're grading on who can cheat the most efficiently.
What makes Street Fighter such a different case is that attempting to fix the combo glitch would've ruined the combat flow of the game. The original Street Fighter 2 had Guile Hand cuffs, but they never bothered to retain that.

Smash Tards are extremely delusional though and act as though Smash Melee has more love than Street Fighter 2.

They really have no idea what they're talking about. FGC has ghetto roots. You'd get your ass physically beat down back in the day if you didn't act right. We'd even have large crowds where thugs would playing MK, Tekken & SF along side their entourage with hot girls they've been banging cheering you on.
Them days were so hype, it was like Pit Fighter but with arcade games. (Ironic coz Pit fighter is a shitty arcade game.)

We adapted to the most recent game of a series coz back in the day, the older games would get replaced in arcades to make room for the most recent iteration of the game. Sure, it's been 20 years since that fighting game era but most of the peeps my age still shit-talk & act exactly like 90s era of the fighting game community back when they existed in real life, instead of just larping online. That's why I fucking hate the modern FGC. It's mostly a bunch of nerds now, doing nothing but reading & reciting theory. Back in my day, we just played the fucking game and developed strategies through experience. Not mothafucking reading about it like some fucking nerd.

That's why that Esports invasion really sucks. They forced trannies into FGC, and censored the shit out of every game to conform with modern Americant sensibilities. The worst part of all, is they replaced the FGC commentators with boring ass whitebread corporate establishment assholes that ain't none of us ever fucking heard of, coz they're just generic ass Mainstream news style 'professional' broadcasters.

LOL! back in the day, that guy stomping the shit out of his controller,

would be a salty motherfucker breaking the shit out of the joystick and ruining the game for the rest of us. THose days were great coz it formed a culture, a community. Every notable motherfucker in the arcade would have their own mythos about them, which is why early 2000s Internet FGC acted exactly the way that they did. Daigo in particular often gets described as a secret boss like Akuma.

Which is something that you ain't never see anymore from modern gaming. Modern gaming is all fucking plastic & corporate manipulated. They try to create this forced culture, while they kick out all of the ghetto elements that made Arcade & Fighting gaming what it was. Before I was born, grown ass men would bet & compete over arcade game high scores while drinking out at a bar.

It reminds me of what Hotep Jesus was saying, about how these rich corporate motherfuckers always kick out everyone from a culture who doesn't fit a certain clean-cut ideal, and take over your culture from within.

My fave salty moment of all time that happened to me was when I got some White kid to waste about 6 dollars of quarters on me just to beat my Blair Dame once in Street Fighter EX, he was older than me since I was like only 13 or 14. He only finally won coz I had to make myself lose, coz I had to leave. I didn't make it too obvious that I threw the match. What's funny is that we didn't even have a crowd so I don't understand why he wasted all these quarters just to beat my Blair once, lol.

The scariest moments I had in arcades was when a gang shooting happened over Mace back in Vegas at a casino, Mace of all games. Mace is badass though.

At San Fagcisco, We once had a full blown gang brawl of over 30 middle school kids (most of us already looked like high school seniors though.) over friggin NBA Jam Tournament. I don't remember what caused it. I just remember jumping in and smacking people over the head and then running away like a bitch, lol.
You ain't see nothing like that from gaming culture any more. Modern gaming culture is entirely nerd-centric now.

Back in them days, we'd either write down or rip out entire moveset pages from game magazines, stuff it in our pockets then bring those pages to the arcades later to study the movesets & shit. I really miss that. Modern era's equivalent is prob something like Dark Souls, which yet again has an extreeme nerdy air about it. It was like how fighting games were like back in the 90s. Some of us were nerds, but most of us were just thugs. Fighting games were like the only genre out at the time that allowed us to take our aggression out on the virtual space. Now in days we have shooters, of which I've fully moved in to. I don't really play fighters much any more but Blazblue & Under Night seem pretty interesting from vids I've seen.
Inoki Stomps Fools!
ImageImage